We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nerves setting in for Marrakech 4th December for a week

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Northumberland...
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Nerves setting in for Marrakech 4th December for a week

Getting a little bit exited, and little bit nervous about visiting Marrakech in just over a weeks time.

The hotel looks divine, riu tikida gardens, but the city itself looks very hectic and a little intimidating.

We plan to do alot of relaxing but also visit a few bars and clubs, perhaps pacha and diamant noir, possibly churchills, but despite having bought the guidebooks have no idea how we are going to find any of these places...

Is it easy to get around on foot or are we going to have to taxi everywhere?

Do we need to get dressed up or do we just go casual? It's December so suit jacket or denim jacket? Shoes or trainers?

Any advice please?

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,208 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nerves setting in for Marrakech 4th December for a week

Hi,

From your hotel you will have to take taxis to visit the clubs you mention. All are easily accessed by taxi. Have a look at the Petit Taxis in Marrakech posts in the Top Questions box on the right of the page for some very useful tips.

Once in the medina you can visit most of the sights on foot.

Smart/casual is generally fine in Marrakech though you can go as dressy as you like, especially to the more popular clubs.

Don't be nervous; come with a positive attitude, a sense of humour and a determination to have a good time and you will!

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nerves setting in for Marrakech 4th December for a week

The city can be hectic and intimidating but there are places where it is so peaceful, it is like a few different cities rolled into one, you have Guliez (the New City), it feels like most European cities, you have the Medina (the Old City), this is like stepping back in time and what I like to call the "real Marrakech".

There are parks and gardens such as the Menara Gardens and the Majorelle (YSL) Gardens that are so peaceful.

There are cafes, bars and nightclubs and you wont have trouble finding any of them, most of the taxi drivers will take you straight there.

Dont worry about a thing and just give it a go............

London, United...
Level Contributor
566 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nerves setting in for Marrakech 4th December for a week

Hey Shimmin and MIB remember me? Im returning again in a few weeks to Kech! Cant wait!

HedKandiz, a tip for you - youre gonna love the hotel, its fantastic, the surrounding area is a little daunting but perfectly fine, taxis into the main town are cheaper from the main road at the top rather than one outside the hotel (here they try to rip you off, just a tip), so leave the hotel and walk to the top of the street and flag a petit taxi from there to get anywhere.

Pacha is overpriced in my opinion and not very good (Comptoir Darna far Better, and TeatrO), but what Id say is, make full use of your all inclusive at the hotel ;-)

then when you go to Pacha, you wont need to spend as much. But watch your drink at all times, and do not leave it unattended. Naughty people in Pacha x

Relax in the YSL Gardens in Guilez, or the Menara Gardens, take food to Menara Gardens and have a picnic :D

Most Important tip - the advice from the above two members (Shimmin and MIB) is invaluable when travelling to Marrakech!! They know so much about the place and are super helpful, I read through some of their other contributions before I went last time, helped me a lot to make sure I made the most of my trip, have a great time !!

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,208 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nerves setting in for Marrakech 4th December for a week

Knew you would be back kickinchicken! Have another great visit.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nerves setting in for Marrakech 4th December for a week

Hi kickinchicken, Marrakech is always great in December, it is freezing cold here in the UK and nice and warm there........

I am so tempted to book a ticket myself in the next few weeks........

Chafford 100,Essex
Level Contributor
199 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nerves setting in for Marrakech 4th December for a week

We're going on 22nd December. First time in Marrakech, I am also very exited but a little apprehensive - fear of the unknown I guess! I love exploring new places though and have a night at Imlil booked for 24th. I have planned for most of our stay but have decidede to leave some time open for us to do what takes our fancy when we are there.

We are staying in a Riad in the Guliez area, it has a small pool, my son is desperate to know if it will be warm enough for a dip. Will the water park be warm enough at the end of December?

Happy holidays to everyone!

Ang

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nerves setting in for Marrakech 4th December for a week

The days are warm around 20 degrees but it does get a bit chilly once the sun has set, when you go from the UK, it feels relatively warm even in the evening.

I have seen many people sun bathing around pool in December but only one person was brave enough to go into the hotel pool, personally I would say it maybe too cold to go for a swim (unless the pools are heated).

If you have spare time, then look into going to Essaouira and maybe staying 1 night there, I wouild say it is one of the most relaxed places on Earth and a total contrast to Marrakech......

Edited: 3:09 pm, November 23, 2012
marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,208 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nerves setting in for Marrakech 4th December for a week

Hi Ang,

Oasiria, one of the most popular water parks limits access through the winter to just the heated pool so most of their facilities are not available to guests. I imagine the others are the same so if limited facilities don't bother you your son could indeed have a warm swim at the end of the year.

Northumberland...
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Nerves setting in for Marrakech 4th December for a week

Thank you all very useful info :-))

UK
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nerves setting in for Marrakech 4th December for a week

I'd like to thank Shimmin, MIB and others as well for all the useful info. I've read so much and taken loads of notes.

We fly out to Marrakech on Tuesday November 27th, back on December 4th (will wave to you at the airport Hedkandiz!), all being well. we've had to cancel our holiday twice this year because my FiL was ill. He's in hospital again now but won't be coming out until after we're back, so he's insisting that this time we should actually get our holiday. Won't make the final decision until Monday, but it's looking good. :)

Just started to get clothes together for our stay in the Medina and four day tour, including Erg Chebbi. Packing flip flops and thermals - it's a peculiar combination!

Jane