We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

gluten free

worcester, uk
Level Contributor
444 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
gluten free

I am currently looking at Istanbul and marrakesh for an important birthday holiday in february.

What are typical hotel and riad breakfasts like?

Do restaurants understand gluten free? I eat tagines on a regular basis at home and can even eat couscous.

Food can make or break a trip for me.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
10,233 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: gluten free

stick 'gluten' into the search box for previous threads on this subject, lots of help available.

I guess you would categorise tourist breakfasts as being French style--coffee, fruit juce, croisants, pain au chocolate, bread, cheese, etc. But if you explain what you'd like ahead of time you can probably get what you want in a riad.

Thornton Cleveleys...
Level Contributor
599 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: gluten free

If you pop the word "gluten" into the search bar, you'll find other threads with information relating to your question.

This is one recent one: tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293734-i9196-k5…

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
11,211 posts
498 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: gluten free

just sayin...couscous is a wheat based product, and if your body is tolerant to that, wouldn't worry that they may slip in some wheat and not know it. i work with VERY gluten intolerant people and just a hint of wheat will set off the disease.

worcester, uk
Level Contributor
444 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: gluten free

Its wierd. A hint of bread or wheat flour and i am doubled up in pain/sickness but i can eat couscous. (not a huge amount)

A sauce thickened either wheat flour is my usual nightmare on holiday, even tomato sauces can have it in.

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: gluten free

Tajine sauces are not normally thickened with wheat flour but the classic soup harira is.You can also find barley bread. Check out the links provided above for much useful information. Try also "coeliac".

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
11,211 posts
498 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: gluten free

barley has tons of gluten, rice bread or rice flour

would be an alternative.

Level Contributor
1 post
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: gluten free

They don't really understand the allergy, though there are cards available that you can print in French and Arabic at celiactracel.com. I am very intolerant, and found it to be fairly difficult if I don't stick to tagine and salads. Everything is so influenced by France and Italy that everything is served with or on bread and you have to be clear you don't want cous cous. Stay away from soups as they usually have barley or small pastas, and depending on the place there is rice. In the medina I found a lot of places that serve French fries which in general arent fried in oil with flour, which was helpful. It's hard to be in heat with no carbs. Most of the kebob style places serve this and grilled chicken or beef.

Galloway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
6 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: gluten free

Just came back from 13 days in Morocco. My daughter has Celiac. We stayed in 6 different hotels - she was able to eat cheese, eggs, fruits (dried & fresh), yogurt, nuts, corn flakes & meats for breakfast. We did find 2 hotels that had a "corn" pancake - freshly prepared for breakfast.

Tajines are very popular - lots of veggies & your choice of meat. Rice & potatoes are easily substituted. I was very impressed at how easy it was for her to find good food.

Beef, lamb & chicken on a skewer are also very popular - lots of veggies - rice or potatoes can be substituted.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,801 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: gluten free

Thanks for a very useful post bearlnd53. It should reassure the many people who have questions about travelling to Morocco with this dietary problem.

10. Re: gluten free

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 pm, January 06, 2014