We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money/tips

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Woking, Surrey
Level Contributor
71 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Money/tips

Hello,

What are the rules concerning the tips - I mean what is an average, too much or too little tip?

Thanks,

Letty

11. Re: Money/tips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 7:38 pm, October 28, 2013
Thornton Cleveleys...
Level Contributor
599 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Money/tips

I think the major difficulty when tipping is that small change is so hard to come by. If you change money and don't specifically request small notes/coins, you'll just end up with a wad of 200 notes. When you withdraw from an ATM you face the same problem.

When you get change from shopping, you'll likely end up with very few 1 or 5 dirham coins - so if you feel obligated to tip a toilet attendant etc you end up giving them 10 dirhams because that's the only coin you have.

It's all very well to tell people not to take a taxi unless they put the meter on but that ignores the very real fact that many first time visitors to Marrakech feel incredibly overwhelmed. If you only speak English and a taxi driver is agitatedly chattering at you in French and/or Arabic then you'll most likely just give in so you can get back to your hotel as soon as possible.

On my first trip - following TA advice - I got out of a taxi who refused to use the meter and none of the myriad taxis surrounding me would take me because I was demanding that they too use the meter. Eventually one came up to me and we haggled a price of 20 dirhams by which point I was desperate to get back to the riad because my husband was ill.

I don't think that anyone should be made to feel stupid for not refusing to take a taxi or for tipping a little too much by mistake.

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
232 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Money/tips

About asking the taxi driver to put on the meter, can anyone tell me how to say it in Arabic?

I seemed to have a lot more luck getting taxis to put on the meter when I told them where I was going in Arabic but still ran into a few who wouldn't and had to find another one.

I already know how to say it in French.

14. Re: Money/tips

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Money/tips

I agree with the point LaLico has made. I always ask the taxi drivers to put their meter on, but sometimes you just have to have to just pay the 20DH for what should be a 8-12DH fare (I usually end up tipping the honest drivers anyway!), it is not right paying a fixed amount but waiting around for 2 or 3 taxis is just not worth wasting the time for, especially when you are on a short trip. I think it is a different situation if you live there as you will not want to pay over the odds day after day.

Also you will find you end up with all big notes (100+200DH), whenever I am paying for food (or shopping), I always use the largest note I have, if you keep doing this for a while, then you will end up with lots of small notes and coins (which I keep in a separate pocket). These smaller notes and coins are then used for taxis and giving charity.

16. Re: Money/tips

Thornton Cleveleys...
Level Contributor
599 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Money/tips

I completely agree with you John - what I am trying to say is that it isn't right to make people feel as though they are wrong or stupid if they end up paying an inflated price.

In my situation there were around 15 taxis gathered and not a single one of them would agree to use the meter. My husband was seriously ill (he has mental health issues) and I am not exactly a picture of glowing health myself. In that case, a couple of minutes was a couple of minutes too long. We needed to get back to the riad as fast as possible.

The few taxis that did pull up (it was by Place Feblantiers) were told by the other drivers not to take us. They pretty much all joined ranks "against the tourists". This was even with me speaking French and a little Arabic to them and being able to understand what they were saying.

One young driver took pity on us, walked over and told us he would take us but he couldn't use the meter. This was when I decided that it would be better to just agree a price of 20 dirhams.

In theory it is easy to say "refuse the taxi and another will be along soon" - in practice it doesn't always work like that. Tourists in every country in the world get ripped off one way or the other (certainly if I get a taxi in Scotland, I always get my husband to do the talking - as they amazingly manage to find shorter routes for a fellow Scot than for an English girl!). I don't think it is fair for us to make people feel as though they have somehow "failed" if they don't win the battle to get a driver to use a meter.

NB - I am talking about small overpayments here by the way. I'm not talking about the people who happily hand over 100 dirhams for a short journey or 300 dirhams for a photo in the square.

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
232 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Money/tips

LaLico, I agree with you completely. I've had to get to Supratours to catch a bus and ALL the taxis were pulling that stunt, so I finally found one that agreed to a reasonable flat fare compared to the other guys. But sometimes you just have to bite the bullet, it wwasn't worth missing my bus since I'd already purchased the ticket.

What I have found though is that Marrakech taxi drivers are the WORST for this.

I've had the taxi in Fes try to pull it and the next one that came along used his meter. I've also had a taxi driver in Fes look at me like I was crazy for even asking him for the meter, he obviously always turned it on. And same thing with a shared ride, the meter wasn't on in Fes, I payed the normal fare that my Moroccan friend told me to pay and the driver just thanked me. Meknes, same thing, they automatically start the meter.

John W, thanks for the Arabic help!!! :)

Marrakech
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Money/tips

The taxi drivers who park at the Place des Ferblantiers taxi station don't want to take anyone on the meter. I previously took taxis to and from that area on a daily basis and they wouldn't even consider taking me home!

The best thing to do is not speak to the parked taxi drivers but stop a moving taxi. In my experience the moving taxis always used the meter.

20. Re: Money/tips

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, June 05, 2014