We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

egypt or marrakech

Spain
Level Contributor
97 posts
1 review
Save Topic
egypt or marrakech

My friend and i are booked to back to Sharm el Sheikh for $ weeks in January but having been there twice we were thinking of changine to Marrakech...neither of us have been there so was wondering if anyone could give their advice please...we are two women who are smokers and it does seem resricted in Marrakech,but not sure to what extent........

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
Level Contributor
4,311 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: egypt or marrakech

it will make sense to visit Marrakech since you have not been here. You will be surprised to finf that the city is cosmopolitan and open: bars, discos and night life

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
239 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: egypt or marrakech

Marrakech! I've been to Egypt before and found it to be a love/hate country. Some things were great, but some things were awful. I find Moroccans to be much more friendly and helpful. I also think that Morocco is much easier to travel around with signage in French, Arabic and even sometimes English. When I was in Egypt everything was in Arabic. And like Truebeliever posted, Marrakech is very cosmopolitan.

Thornton Cleveleys...
Level Contributor
599 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: egypt or marrakech

I'm not quite sure what you mean by smoking being restricted (assuming that you mean just plain tobacco)?

It is frowned upon for a Moroccan woman to smoke in public but as a tourist you won't be expected to conform to the same rules - afterall, you're not expected to wear hijab either.

Plus, the younger Moroccan girls who dress in Western clothing sometimes smoke in public to show their modernity and as an expression of feminine equality

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: egypt or marrakech

Given the current political situation in Egypt Morocco would seem the better (and nearer!) option.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
662 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: egypt or marrakech

Got to be Morocco. Egypt is going through a nasty patch with it’s attitude towards women at the moment (mainly from the new ruling party which seeks to derail the amazing work done by Suzanne Mubarak on the promotion and defence of women’s rights) and I wouldn’t want any women to contribute finically or otherwise towards this disturbing turn of events. If you are interested in reading more on the subject then this is a good start:

forbes.com/sites/…

An extract from the artical: "Sexual intimidation is being used as a tactic to control and deter women from voicing their rights and opinions in public. It is becoming the norm to see female protestors subjected to physical abuse in the streets of Tahrir."

Good words from LaLico....spot on with the smoking thing.

I smoke in Morocco and never, ever have I had an issue with it. There are some restrictions on where you can smoke (like some public buildings), but other than the usual airports etc there isn't many places you can't smoke in Morocco….even as a woman. No one will give a hoot.

Edited: 11:04 am, August 01, 2012
idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
11,211 posts
498 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: egypt or marrakech

if you have been to egypt twice, why not experience morocco..great country , filled with history, wonderful people, fabulous food, and much, much more.

you won't be disappointed.

Dubai
Level Contributor
195 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: egypt or marrakech

Definitely marrakech

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,680 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: egypt or marrakech

have you compared the likely weather in january?

pam

Spain
Level Contributor
97 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: egypt or marrakech

many thanx for all replies...i think it will be Marrakech...

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
662 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: egypt or marrakech

Good call my friend......you won't regret it!

Split your time between Marrakesh and Essaouira and you’ll get a bit of city and coast, hectic and relaxed, busy and serine and you’ll have a great time.