We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

9 Days in Morocco in December

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Level Contributor
21 posts
356 reviews
Save Topic
9 Days in Morocco in December

Lots of great info on here, not looking to have y'all repeat too much. But . . . Arrive, probably Marrakech (but could be Casablanca too) mid-December from Lisbon, either late morning or late afternoon. Have 9 full days to spend in Morocco before heading back to Lisbon for a day (or part of day), and then back to US. Two of us traveling, age 55 / 45, good shape, travel light, very well traveled, but never been to Morocco. Trying to decide if using Marrakech as a base is best idea, then day, perhaps night in Essaouira (but, good idea in December (?). Want to go to Atlas and desert. Trying to decide if we will regret it if don't venture up to Fes / Meknes versus taking the 9 days to spend in and around Marrakech, mountains / desert, and south. Open to all ideas. Not averse to spending long time / long drives in a car, i.e., 7 or so hours, if that is worthwhile. Also, other than booking first night in Marrakech, thought we'd leave things open and book most (all (?)) trips / tours / guides on arrival. Any advice would be appreciated. Charlie L

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
Level Contributor
4,194 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 9 Days in Morocco in December

in 9 Days you can do many things

If you decide on Marrakech as a base I suggest you spedn 2 days and one day trip to essaouira; back to Marrakech where you head to o Merzouga , spend a night half way in <<Sloura or dades another night in night camp then head to Fes from Merzouga. allwo for 2 days in Fes and day trip to Meknes and Volubis

You can fly back from Casa

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 9 Days in Morocco in December

Nine days seems a reasonable amount of time. Certainly base yourselves in Marrakech - some destinations in the High Atlas can be done as a day trip, and as truebeliever suggests for Essaouira too (a great contrast to the Red City and although winter winds can be chilly is worth the visit). Fes is over seven hours away by train (and much the same by car). It is a beautiful city too and two nights will enable you to experience a little of it with perhaps one side excursion. If staying in a riad the staff will be able to explain your options and book trips for you. Guides, in general, are unnecessary.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
81 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 9 Days in Morocco in December

Hi there, I just posted my 10 day trip report on my topic "Christmas to New Year" in the Morocco forum along the same lines. Its dated 4th June 2012. Ask me more questions if you have after reading the report.

4. Re: 9 Days in Morocco in December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 pm, June 21, 2013