We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marrakech in August

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
essex
Level Contributor
251 posts
Save Topic
Marrakech in August

We have booked a trip in August, and noticed on the website of where we are staying, it says its low season. I assume this is due to the heat. How hot and perhaps unbearable is it. I have looked on the information at the side, and it seems the temp hovers around 40, which altho hot, is no different to the temps we experienced in Corfu last year, and India previous years. Have I missed something?

Whitley Bay, United...
Level Contributor
853 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marrakech in August

I guess as the old adage says 'one mans meat is another's poison' and whilst you might consider 40 degrees NOT hot others might be put off by the very thought of it. I think perhaps you have to remember that some folk aren't used to big numbers heat wise and despite the fact that I have travelled quite extensively (tho not as far as some)and have also travelled around India and Sri Lanka I would personally finfd 40 degress offputting unless I was planning just to laze around a pool.

Travel safe and enjoy

H

essex
Level Contributor
251 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Marrakech in August

Thanks for your response

I agree, 40 is HOT, but its not as hot as other countries I have been to, and have managed to still be able to walk around during the day and cope with the heat (lots of water and lots of rests). I just thought maybe we had missed something as to why its the low season, but thankfully it does just seem to be due to the heat.

I know from previous trips to places, that the low season normally means a reduction in what is open, would this be the case here as well, or could we expect to see the same or the majority of the same attractions that you can in the busier seasons. Will there be all or most of the food stalls open as well as everything else?

Edited: 9:02 am, March 08, 2012
Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
Level Contributor
4,183 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marrakech in August

4O is the average; temp can climb to 45 and even higher. wherever you stay make sure AC is availabe as well as a pool. daytrips to ourika and Essaouira provide respite

essex
Level Contributor
251 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Marrakech in August

Thanks for the suggestions of day trips. We are only there for 3 nights, so we might not have time. Just currently trying to absorb all the info we can to come up with a plan. Have noticed there are several lovely gardens around that could also provide a restbite from it all, if the need arises.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marrakech in August

Don't forget that this year Ramadan will finish around 19/20 August

essex
Level Contributor
251 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Marrakech in August

ah, my OH asked about that. We fly out on the 22nd (I think)

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Marrakech in August

The key point of the question is not so much actual temperatures but relative humidity. This factor is normally very low in Marrakech and therefore is not a "sticky heat" as in many other places, but a dry heat. which is much more bearable. As you say, biscuit0790, lots of water and avoid the midafternoon direct sun if possible (a little siesta I find helps!) The four main gardens - Aguedal, Majorelle, Menara and Cyberpark all have water features and shaded areas too. Also the medina souks are mainly covered with plenty of opportunities to enjoy a cooling drink in the shade.

London
Level Contributor
151 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Marrakech in August

AsPilobolus said as the humidity is quite low in Marrakech 40 or even 50 degree doesn't feel so as hot as it would be in a humid country . But it is still hot . and certainly one best place to visit is the medina as it is usually much cooler that the rest of the city .

9. Re: Marrakech in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:35 am, March 12, 2012
10. Re: Marrakech in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 2:43 pm, March 10, 2012
Edited: 2:43 pm, March 10, 2012