We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which food stall in the djemaa?

London, United...
Level Contributor
570 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Which food stall in the djemaa?

Really gutted I can't remember the food stall we found last visit. Had been conned at so many stalls then foud a great stall that served only what I asked for, and charged for only what I ordered, staff were brilliant and friendly. Don't want to go through all the dreadful stalls again and unlikely to find the one I used to visit-any recommendations, stall numbers?? Dont want to pay fortunes for the food, just want a nice meal, and decent price :) thanks

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,759 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which food stall in the djemaa?

Has to be number 1, Aicha!

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g293734-d121…

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,993 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which food stall in the djemaa?

I avoid the ones with tourists and eat at the ones frequented by the locals.

Number 14 is good, especially their fish. I also enjoy tanjia which is a local Marrakshi dish (not to be confused with tajine).

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
11,172 posts
496 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which food stall in the djemaa?

i so agree with tim, whatever his advice is...always the best.

can't wait to go back and eat at stall #14...

how does tanjia different..?? please explain for my mouth!!!. i am thinking about the dish already. thanks so much.

Cambridge
Level Contributor
494 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which food stall in the djemaa?

How do you know which stall is which, are they numbered, can someone give me a rough idea where no1 and 14 are?

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,993 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which food stall in the djemaa?

Tanjia is a rich dish made by slow cooking poor quality cuts of meat, so leave the fatty bits. Good article by The View From Fez: …blogspot.com/2010/07/tanjia-recipe-for-slow…

The stalls have signs with numbers. Last week the queues of locals waiting for seats at #14 were so deep we ate elsewhere.

Edited: 4:48 am, March 05, 2012
Cambridge
Level Contributor
494 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which food stall in the djemaa?

Thanks Tim. as we're on an all inclusive board with Thomson's (please don't tell me this won't be very authentic), then what (stall and food) do you recommend as light snacks to eat while wandering around rather than a "sit down meal".

London, United...
Level Contributor
570 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which food stall in the djemaa?

dont forget to try a freshly squeezed OJ!

surrey
Level Contributor
1,966 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which food stall in the djemaa?

Silly question but are the stalls numbered consecutively? I'm keen to try both No 1 and no 14 as these are well reviewed. I may have the fish course at 14 followed by the meat at no 1 ; ) ; ) - is this the sort of thing that can be done in one evening or am I being too ambitious?

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,759 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which food stall in the djemaa?

Hi,

The stalls are not numbered in any particular order. You can indeed snack your way from stall to stall as it pleases you. Stall number 1 is on the North corner on the side nearest the snail sellers.

surrey
Level Contributor
1,966 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which food stall in the djemaa?

Thanks for that - any idea where no 14 is? How many are there approximately - will we find them easily?