We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must have things to bring back from Marrakech

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Whitley Bay, United...
Level Contributor
848 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Must have things to bring back from Marrakech

If you could only bring back one souvenier of Marrakech what would it be ??

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,504 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must have things to bring back from Marrakech

Decorative, useful and easy to carry. Maybe one of the small incised plates, or an unstuffed leather pouffe.

East Gwillimbury...
Level Contributor
2,232 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Must have things to bring back from Marrakech

Good ideas, Tim.

How about a small hanging ceiling lamp (the perforated metal kind)...or some babouches?

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
Level Contributor
4,160 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Must have things to bring back from Marrakech

t shirt with Marrakech on it

Merzouga, Morocco
Level Contributor
233 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Must have things to bring back from Marrakech

Hand made mirror.

Coventry
Level Contributor
258 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Must have things to bring back from Marrakech

Gosh, I don't think I would make it out of Marrakesh with only one thing!

Last trip I had 4 wall sconces, ceiling lamp, 2 bedspreads, 2 pairs of trousers, a childs magic dress, some tassles, curtain tie backs, argon oil and amalu (and I am sure there is something I have forgotten)

Oh yes, spices of course!!!

Edited: 10:56 am, January 15, 2012
East Gwillimbury...
Level Contributor
2,232 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Must have things to bring back from Marrakech

@truebeliever - haha! Come on, man. You can do better than that! :)

colchester
Level Contributor
1,465 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Must have things to bring back from Marrakech

@ thesit-a-while- I take it you weren't flying Ryanair ! lol

The Scottish Borders
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Must have things to bring back from Marrakech

I've just booked a week in Marrakech for next spring and am really looking forward to it. Am staying at the Riad Catalina and currently enjoying reading through the forum / top questions - there are some great tips and advice in there.

I already have a few items on my 'shopping list' such as some Argan Oil, a silver tea pot, tray and glasses and some mint tea, I have a small collection of Arabic style lanterns I have bought in Egypt so may add to the collection.

For those who have been to Egypt (Luxor in particular) how does the shopping in Morocco compare i.e. less/more pressurised and are the majority of souvenirs made in China (like they are in Egypt) or are there some recommended fair trade shops with genuine 'made in Morocco' products.

Thanks,

Suzie

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Must have things to bring back from Marrakech

One thing to choose from, you are going to have a hard time choosing.....

Amongst my favourite would be the hand crafted lamps, hanging plates, hand crafted mirrors, small wooden boxes (ask to see the magic box for some entertainment), colourful small tiles, clay cooking tagines, small decorated glasses and teapot sets, the list is endless when you get to see all that is on offer in the souks.

You can usually tell the original hand crafted stuff from the "mass produced Chinese imports", you will see the imported stuff in most of the shops, it all looks the same, but the unique hand crafted stuff will only be available in a few shops, my advice would be if you really like it, then buy it (at a haggled down rate).

The shopping experience is very similar to Luxor, the only difference would be that it is on a much bigger scale in Marrakech as the medina is massive compared to the shopping streets of Luxor, the hassle is less in Marrakech if anything.

Edited: 1:43 pm, January 15, 2012
idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,399 posts
433 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Must have things to bring back from Marrakech

i bought some small, faceted , rubys...love them, and they were around $80 us, and my fav was a necklace with beads, that were wire, and painted inside with enamel ...also, the pillow case, for a pillow on the couch.