We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hire a guide

uk
1 post
Save Topic
hire a guide

hi i would be travelling to marrakech soon, for a week, and i was wondering if i could hire a guide and how much will it cosy?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
9 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hire a guide

Hi,

My name is DeLaine and I will be in Marrakesh in about 2 weeks. I have been there before. You can hire a guide from just about any hotel or to to the tourist office. For a full day, you should expect to pay about 15-20 dollars US, BUT be sure to bargain and tell the guide what you want to see and not see. Dont buy anything when you are with the guide though. The price will be outrageous. For the medina and Djema you really dont need a quide. I am a female and have navigated on my own. my email is: dukeilu@yahoo.com

Morocco and Spain
Level Contributor
90 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: hire a guide

Comments about hiring a guide when you make purchases in Marrakech or anywhere else.... If you go to one of the pages on advise when traveling to Morocco, you will be warned about illegal copy of credit card slips, shipment of rugs or other goods involving replacemement of rugs, etc. for other than you purchased....false guides....

All this is true. There are so many "students", "new friends", or others from 10 years up- who are professional con artists who successfully "hoodwink" foreigners- particularly Americans, English, Japenese, Aussies. They take them somewhere a "relative" has a shop and most people buy something- because it is easier to do that than offend you new friend who has invited you to ameal or tea....

What out... They all make commission.

Yes, official guides also make commission- But they are accountable for complaints as they are college educationed and have badges and are registered with the Tourist Boards, etc. They can help negotiable for a reasonable price...

I am a tour operator and use official guides throughout Morocco. They are reasonable, go to reliable shops, and see that the clients have a good exxperience in Morocco.