We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone stayed at Pasha Baghdadi in Fez

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Topic
Has anyone stayed at Pasha Baghdadi in Fez

Hi, Has anyone stayed at the Pasha Baghdadi Massriya in Fez recently as we have not seen it reviewed or posted anywhere recently. We have booked it in May and would love to hear from anyone that has stayed there.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone stayed at Pasha Baghdadi in Fez

Posted this last month about the Pasha Baghdadi and was hoping to hear from someone who has stayed here. Here is what Conde Nast Travel Magazine says of this place in an article.

"Guests of this medina apartment are provided with silk djellaba robes, allowing them to lounge around this remarkable two-story suite in ultimate comfort. Built in 1880 and managed by a responsible California-based tourism company, it sleeps up to four people and features a rooftop terrace, intricate carved plaster, and dramatic original mosaics. This private space offers several optional hotel-style amenities, such as pickup from your arrival airport and a qualified tour guide who is available for the length of your stay." It sounds wonderful but I have not seen it mentioned on any forum or other travel guide book for some reason?

Vientiane, Laos
Level Contributor
708 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone stayed at Pasha Baghdadi in Fez

The Pasha Baghdadi Massriya is owned by and American woman, Lori Wood (if you have the newest Lonely Planet, there is an inset box dedicated to Lori and her project) and her husband Hassan. Though I have not stayed there myself, the feedback I've heard from her clients has been positive. Sorry I cant be of more help...

Fez, Morocco
Level Contributor
81 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone stayed at Pasha Baghdadi in Fez

I have stayed there, but not recently. It's a wonderful place. I personally think it's best for one or two people, since the amazing upstairs menzeh has no bathroom and you have to go down the common stairs to the other part of the massriya to use the bathroom...it's possible for three or four using the two bedrooms, but you should be aware of this.

Paula Hardy has just published this review on the Lonely Planet website...she selected it as one of her five favorites in Fez:

"Lori Wood's 19th-century massriya (traditional apartment) is a real medina find. Rented out as an apartment, it's like living in a jewel box, such is the exquisite craftwork that survives - not least the lavish painted plasterwork poems lining the main salon like a thick band of embroidery.

The apartment is in a house shared with two Moroccan families so you're really in the thick of things here. The main space is on the second floor and comprises the richly decorated sitting area, a separate light-filled bedroom and a mini hammam (Turkish-style bathhouse) complete with cedarwood buckets and a horseshoe-shaped fountain. The colours are deep and sensual - dark blue felt curtains and sofa covers, and red embroidered pillows. There are djellabahs (long, loose, hooded robes) on loan and large brass lanterns dotted about. If you think the main salon's pretty wait until you see the second bedroom, a crazy confection of zellij tiles, painted stucco and iridescent Iraki glass flashing coloured light around the room. It's ridiculously romantic."

lonelyplanet.com/worldguide/…sleep

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Has anyone stayed at Pasha Baghdadi in Fez

Thank you very much for your reply. I am so glad I have heard from someone who has actually stayed there.It sounds wonderful and it is amazing that the Pasha Baghdadi's name doesn't come up more in recommended accommodation. My husband was getting worried as no one had heard of it. Just the two of us will be staying there for 3 nights so we can try both bedrooms.

Texas
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Has anyone stayed at Pasha Baghdadi in Fez

Ariele, Just checking to see how your stay was at the Pasha Baghdadi. We are a family of 4 and are thinking of renting it in August ofr 3 nights. I would love to hear your feedback.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Has anyone stayed at Pasha Baghdadi in Fez

Just returned home from our trip away. We stayed at the Pasha Baghdadi for 3 nights and we would not recommend it for four people as the small bedroom upstairs does not have its own bathroom. You would have to unlock the upstairs bedroom door, climb down the steep common stairway which is also used by other people in the building, unlock the door to the main area of the massriya and then repeat the process to go back upstairs with all the locking and unlocking. The terrace is not really usable as it is a washing line area and is not kept very clean (no rose bushes and lavender as in the description and no nice table and chairs to sit on). The main sitting area does not have very comfortable furniture and it is very dark with no windows. You need to put all the lamps on in the middle of the day. We were quite disappointed as the wonderful and romantic description did not match reality. However, if you are just looking for a place to sleep and not spend a lot of time in, it is in a very good location in the medina.

Texas
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Has anyone stayed at Pasha Baghdadi in Fez

Hi Ariele,

Thanks for your informative reply. We am now reconsidering the choice. With two teenage sons, the inconvenience of the two bedrooms and one bathroom could be overcome, butI was disappointed to hear it is not very comfortable for sitting around in the salon or terasse. Otherwise, how was the service with Hafid and were 3 nights in Fes sufficient? We wanted to take a day trip to Meknes and Volubilis. So we would really only have one full day in Fes. Do you think that is sufficient for an overview or should we forego the daytrip and spend ,more time in Fes?

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Has anyone stayed at Pasha Baghdadi in Fez

Hafid was very good and came to pick us up and helped with our luggage. He was also very helpful with any questions that we had and organised an official guide for the following day. The guide was extremely knowledgeable as he grew up in Fez and knew it like the back of his hand. The medina can be difficult at times in finding your way if you wander off the main streets. I don't think that one day in Fez is enough if you are planning on having a good look around and doing some shopping. I would suggest at least 2-3 days.

Fez, Morocco
Level Contributor
81 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Has anyone stayed at Pasha Baghdadi in Fez

I agree with Ariele. You need a few days at least in Fes. I'd skip the days trip unless you have more time. Also note that Volubilis in August will be really hot... and Fes too, for that matter, but at least the massriya has AC...

Texas
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Has anyone stayed at Pasha Baghdadi in Fez

Thank you for your replies. I think we will just sit tight in Fes and have less driving around. Any suggestions of resataurants or 'must sees" in Fes, besdies the Medina?