We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spending money???

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
london
Level Contributor
250 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Spending money???

Hi all,

Need some advise on spending money!

We will be in Marrakech for 4 nights, 4 days (the last day we fly out at 12.30pm so doesn't really count!) in november. It's our first time there so we have no idea how much spending money to take.

-It's very likely we will eat out for breakfast, lunch and dinner. We are not looking to eat in macdonalds nor are we looking to eat in super expensive restaurants, just places that are reasonably priced with good food. However, 1 or 2 nights we would like to go to a slightly swanky romantic restaurant as it will be my husbands birthday while we are there, so any suggestions would be fab.

-We will do a couple of excursions (quadbiking and visiting the waterfall) 

- general shopping, little bits and bobs, nothing major.

- we would like to sample some nightlife too. Maybe 2 nights out of the 4 we may visit some bars and clubs. I've heard that alcoholic drinks can be pricey so for a night out how much should we budget? We are not big drinkers at all unless it's a special occasion like a birthday or something, and as it will be my husbands birthday we may need to set aside some money for the night out!

Apart from the above we will probably spend money on taxis 2-3 times a day. 

I was thinking £400-£500 would be ok for the 4 days but I'm not sure so please let me know what you guys think.

Thanks

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,208 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spending money???

Hi,

Blimey, with all the eating, light ;-) drinking, clubbing, swanky restaurants, excursions, taxis and shopping you will need a much bigger budget than £500 unless that is per person!

Seriously, you sound as if you want to pack far too much into a very short time. Marrakech can be done cheaply but the examples you give are not cheap options. Where are you staying? Don't they even offer breakfast (though that is cheaply bought in many cafes)? Why do you need taxis all the time, is your accommodation far out of town?

Maybe think about coming over, arranging a special day for the birthday with a hammam and massage, romantic carriage ride round the ramparts and, yes, a special restaurant for dinner on the day followed by a nightclub. A day out of town in the mountains (I prefer Ouirgane and a drive back over the Plateau de Kik) would be lovely. You really only have 3 days in Marrakech? That's no time at all. Don't rush round. Relax. Have a few special moments and give yourselves time to sit in a pavement cafe for an hour watching the world rush by.

It's a short break but you can have a fabulous time if you stop trying to plan every minute of your stay in my opinion. If you enjoy it you can always come back to experience much more.

Have a look at the restaurants and things to do tabs on the left of the page for more ideas, reviews and advice.

london
Level Contributor
250 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spending money???

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. We are actually going to be there for 5 days 4 nights, it's the 5th day that doesn't really count as we leave early. Sorry, I should have explained it better! 

Please tell me what you think is going to be really expensive??? If the excursions are too pricey I would happily cut them out, particularly the quadbiking as I've done that for very very cheap prices in other countries.

We are staying in a riad in hivernage, we have exclusive use of the whole riad so we will not have breakfast available unless we make it ourselves! 

We are there 4 nights and 4 full days so I thought going to a club 2 of those nights would be fine and 2 excursions would be perfect! It doesn't seem too packed to me as we like to have loads of things to do while abroad and we will have 2 days to chill, shop and relax anyway!

What I originally posted is the kind of thing we normally do when we are abroad and we have always budgeted £100-£150 a day between us and its always worked out fine (including 3 meals, endless taxis, 2-3 excursions a day etc) unless we go on an expensive excursion in which case we set aside extra money. I'm not sure what to expect from Marrakech now! Is it actually quite expensive to visit and I'm still a little, if not more, baffled with how much spending money to take!!!

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,208 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spending money???

Hi,

Have a look at the web sites for some of the clubs here; Pacha, Theatro, Diamont Noir (for a laugh), VIP, to get an idea of prices. Restaurants can be up to 750 Dirhams a head for a banquet experience. Excursions average out at about 1000 Dirhams for a day in the mountains for the driver plus lunch and guide, if you take one, for a walk, depending on which company you use, standard/comfort of vehicle.

Marrakech can be done very cheaply but if you want to do the club and posh restaurant scene it can be as pricey as London.

Sorry if my original reply was a bit tongue in cheek!

Agadir, Morocco
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Spending money???

if you dont wanna spend a lot money , you must avoid to go to the pubs and clubs , eat in the traditional places , where moroccan people eat (at least you gonna eat the original things) .

for buying presents , a guide is needed to help you (the day u wanna buy things its perfferable to have a guide cuz they know how to desscuss with the sellers ) giving the guide a small commission will be too great to build a trusty relationship :)

a tagine in marrakech in a public cafe (where moroccan people eat ) cost 50 dh , couscous 100 dh (for 2 persons enough really )

in restaurants a tagine cost 300 to 400 dh and couscous 500 to 700 dh ( in a menu thats mean u will have the entry and desert in the end )

enjoy your trip :)

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,208 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spending money???

If you take a guide shopping he will not participate in the bargaining process on your behalf.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,325 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spending money???

A guide usually takes you into shops where he knows he will get a cut of the high price you are charged as arranged in advance between guide and shop keeper.

Otherwise do your own haggling and haggle hard!

7. Re: Spending money???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 pm, October 28, 2012