We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Learning Arabic

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
aberdeen
Level Contributor
60 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Learning Arabic

My wife and I are flying out to Marrakech on Saturday for 7 days. I have been learning a few words and phrases in Classical Arabic. Will I be understood, given that there will be a local dialect, or am I wasting my time?

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
Level Contributor
4,175 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Learning Arabic

Educated people will understand and may respond in classical Arabic; the rest will respond in Moroccan Arabic which is at times difficult to understand even by Arabs fom the Middle east.

You should be fine

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,296 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Learning Arabic

Stick to French as this is considerably easier; if you cannot speak either then English is certainly spoken by many traders in the touristy parts of souks and in hotels/restaurants.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,121 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Learning Arabic

Hi,

I don't think you are wasting your time at all. It's always polite to try to speak a little of the language when you visit a foreign country and your classical Arabic will be understood (they'll say you talk like an Egyptian) though you may not understand the reply!

Edited: 6:35 pm, March 13, 2011
Barcelona, Spain
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Learning Arabic

Hi,

Maybe it's a good idea you're learning other languages to have more oppotunities to be in touch with people, but don't worry you're not wasting your time its the opposite it will be more helpful when somebody didn't understand english word or something like that. However; Nowadays people in morocco could speak as many as possible languages.

we have never got any problem we always get understood even in our fine english people tried always to be in touch with us in marrakech by english down wards towns to the south could speak more spanish and french .

so you'll enjoy it for sure and it will be a good daring arabic language maybe you could be better than locals in your standard arabic as moroccans could speak moroccan arabic dialect.

enjoy morocco.

PAULA

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Learning Arabic

Unfortunately, We will use only English.

We are lazy to Learn Any other foriegn Language.

But will try learn some in Morocco.

London
Level Contributor
151 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Learning Arabic

Moroccan speak a local version of arabic know as "derija" ( sorry probably not the correct spelling. and classical arabic is the languauge of the coran. People learn it at school bur rarely practise it unless their job request it . Remember too that Morocco is a country where native people : the Berbers have their own proper language which has nothing to do with arabic. I guess like in every country people will always be appreciative of a foreigner making an effort at speaking their own language , so maybe concentrate on leaning the greeting phrases. Enjoy your stay in Morocco

Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Learning Arabic

Lonely Planet do a Moroccan Arabic phrase book, though it is not particluarly the local Marrakech dialect. Learning a few of the greetings, or using the Islamic universal salam alikoum and its repsonse can be enough to throw off a false guide, they will think you are a local ex-pat

agadir
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Learning Arabic

hello

here in morocco

90% of moroccans can speak french

so if u can just learn some words in french it is ok

but dont bother urself about this

a lot of moroccans speak english too

i m moroccan what do u think of my english

so are most of moroccans in here

i n fact we have here a moroccan arabic and berber ,these r the local dialects.it s not easy to learn arabic so i can suggest that u better try french

of try to speak very slow and easy english otherwise

have a good stay

aberdeen
Level Contributor
60 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Learning Arabic

Thanks for the replies and advice. i don't intend becoming fluent in Arabic, i literaly, as shimmin2robertson suggests, just want to be in a position where I can exchange pleasantries with the locals as I have found during my travels that just being able to say please,thank you, good morning, good evening etc. in the local language can bring about a very different attitude even from the most jaded locals.

aberdeen
Level Contributor
60 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Learning Arabic

P.S.

I am using " Berlitz Arabic in 60 Minutes" on CD