We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carte des amis

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kenilworth, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Carte des amis

Hi Fassia

Having read your mail about 'carte des amis'I am surprised.

I am visiting family in Rabat with my husband in June and my Moroccan cousin will be travelling down to see us whilst in Marrakesh.

I am about to book his room in our hotel - will this be a problem?

Thanks

Vientiane, Laos
Level Contributor
708 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carte des amis

My response to the previous post was more about foreigners coming to Morocco and trying to take Moroccans they've met here back to their hotel rooms. Hotels dont like it because it poses a security risk since they dont know at any one time who is actually staying there (which they are required by law to report to the police every night). The government doesnt like it because it is illegal for unmarried couples to spend the night together (or disappear into an unsupervised place where something like that might happen).

Your situation is entirely different: you are family, you'll be with your husband, you'll have separate rooms, your cousin will be a registered guest of the hotel with a prior reservation.

The point of a carte des amis is to show that a couple intends to get married and therefore have "permission" to walk around the streets together. One of my Moroccan friends has been dating an American woman here for a couple years. At one point, he was thrown in jail for walking her back to her house one night. The police were convinced he was a faux guide or otherise up to no good - and since he did not yet have a carte des amis, he could not prove otherwise.

You should not have any problem whatsoever - as I said, your situation is totally different.

Kenilworth, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carte des amis

Thank you Fassia

That has put my mind at rest!