We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping

Tipping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:24 pm, November 06, 2013
Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,702 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping

Salaries in Morocco are much lower than you might imagine. An unskilled person such as a cleaning lady might only earn 50dh/day, a labourer maybe 80, taxi driver 120, and someone with language skills perhaps 200dh.

So don't go mad. I sometimes tip 1dh to a waiter. ..

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
617 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping

As wages re generally low many staff rely on tips..

Tip 10 to 15 % of the total bill..

Cheers..

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
409 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping

Don't insult anyone with a one dirham tip (and they will be insulted by it). Generally 10% minimum is acceptable in restaurants.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,702 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping

When a cup of nus nus is 5dh, a 1dh tip is quite acceptable (and is 20%).

Edited: 6:46 pm, September 01, 2010
Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,702 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping

10-15% of a restaurant bill might be expected, even demanded, in the United States, but if you do the maths you will realise it would soon make a waiter in Morocco a very rich person.

Rough Guide suggests 1dh per person in a cafe, 5dh or so in a restaurant.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
Level Contributor
4,251 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping

1 to 2 dh in a cafe; 10 to a porter; more in restaurants

Tipping is also related to service. if you're happy be generous.otherwise dont give.Worst than not tipping is undertipping

Thank you will be more acceptable than the wrong tip

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,440 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping

I would say you determine who is more likely to be getting the tips. Resto staff probably get good tips so I give the least, 20Dh but as said this depends on the level of service and the bill.

If the cleaning staff are visible each and every day then they may expect frequent tips so give a little each day, remember too they may change shifts so don't give too much at the end as you may give to someone who you've only seen once.

Door staff must be bored sick just standing around being ignored but still they get about 10Dh every other day and maybe a pack of cigs.

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
617 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping

Right a thank you will be much more appreciated than the insulting 1 dh.

Erg Chebbi, Morocco
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping

hey there !

tipping as our friends said is 10 % . well 1 dh heh lol . is that a tip or mocking for someone.

i ve never in my life tipped somebody by 1 dh you are not encouraging people to service you well . thats really insulting . i wonder also to that waiter who keep silent to 1 dh as a tip .one time a person gave me 400 dh as a tip in a hotel . so what do you think , but that s good i ve got encouraged to service people in good conditions of work .

anyway dear friend . try to tip good for you can get good services rendered .

hope to you a good trip and well serviced in marrakech . dont follow mocking people advices .

enjoy your trip .

cheers .

bafana

moroccotripadvisor .

10. Re: Tipping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:35 pm, September 03, 2010