We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Jewish quarter of Marrakech

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,131 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
The Jewish quarter of Marrakech

If anyone has information on what there is to see and do in the Jewish area of Marrakech which I believe from one of the forumites is called "Mellah". Does one have to prebook a visit to the synagogue there and can anyone tell me what it is called. Manyu thanks

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,801 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Jewish quarter of Marrakech

Hi,

The two palais, Bahia and Badia are in the Mellah as is the Dar si Said museum, Bert Flint's House (converted houses showing a collection from all over Africa) and the spice/fabric market. You don't need to book to visit the synagogue but will probably have to pay someone to let you in/show you where it is! The Kozybar is there too where you can either lunch or dine or just sit on the terrace with a drink and watch the storks nesting on the ramparts.

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,131 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Jewish quarter of Marrakech

Thanks shimmin2 - how far is the Mellah from the centre. Those palaces and museums are not part of the Jewish quarter as such. Is there anything other to see than the Synagogue. Is there a Jewish Museum as such or anything like that. Is the Synagogue still operational?

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,131 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Jewish quarter of Marrakech

What I meant to say was its not a Jewish Museum as such - just in the same area - is that correct. Also I believe there is a cemetry there too. Is it a Jewish cemetry and if so how can one visit that - is it open too?

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
Level Contributor
4,311 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Jewish quarter of Marrakech

what used to be jewish quarter is now mostly spice shops but there is a synagogue and a cemetery take a local guide if interested in a guided visit of the medina otherwise take a taxi and wander on your own

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,131 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Jewish quarter of Marrakech

Thanks Shimmin and True Believer. Is it worthwhile visiting the 2 Palaces and the Museum and Bert Flints House. Is there a charge for each and are they all worth going to. Would like to do those that are really a must . Thanks

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
Level Contributor
4,311 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Jewish quarter of Marrakech

Personally I'd visit Medressa Ben Yousef, Pahia Palace and Dar Said. You need to pay separate fee for each

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,131 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Jewish quarter of Marrakech

O.K. thanks will check it out!

8. Re: The Jewish quarter of Marrakech

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:58 am, February 18, 2011