We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guides in Marrakech

Toronto
Level Contributor
26 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Guides in Marrakech

I know you cannot or are not supposed to suggest guides, but I was wondering how much a guide is for a day ? and would you know the cost for a walking guide ? driving guide ?

thanks, Sue.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
Level Contributor
4,236 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guides in Marrakech

guides are paid 150 dh for half a day; 250 dh fora full day. If they use their car to drive you around then you need to, pay more. Travellers who are hard pressed for time may hire a guide and his car for a full day guided visit( souks, monuments, tannerie in the morning; gardens, ramaprts and palmerie in the afternoon) The cost is around 800 dh. If not interested in outskirts then haire the guide and take taxis whenever needed

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
2,196 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guides in Marrakech

Hi there!and to my truebeliever!

Concerning the rates..i would say even if the rate you advance should be..we perfectly know ,the minimal rate for a day will be in fact from 50 to 65 euro a day for a real good english talking guide who will not try to take you shop to shop to have commissions on your back!!

With such a little money.(15/25 euro).you can be sure to have people who will try in a way or an other to take advantage of you..

At the opposite,you're totally right for the visit tour both in car&walking and would say to be precise that half a day or four hours of informative visit in a good car and walking(not an old damaged mercedes..)is rated 50 euro.

And full day until 80.

Hope it will help!

sincerely yours,oliver.

Cambridge
Level Contributor
32 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guides in Marrakech

€80 for a day.... you are having a laugh !

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
2,196 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Guides in Marrakech

Hi there..

I've got a fantastic sens of irony..but this time..i din't see what was funny&strange or so incredibly unreel with saying you must count until 80 euro a day for a guide with a good car..!

Each good car and i mean mn bus with ac with a good english guide must at least make a little money every day and even if for sure not a great distance as in Marrakech or really not far around as the palmeraie's place,the amount is fair and specialy as you can be until 7 persons in the mini bus for the same price.

Hope this help(this time!)

Cheers!oliver.

canada
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Guides in Marrakech

guides are paid 200 dh for a day; . If they use their car to drive you around then you need to, pay more. Travellers who are hard pressed for time may hire a guide and his car for a full day guided visit( souks, monuments, tannerie in the morning; gardens, and palmerie in the afternoon) The cost is around 1000 dh.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,413 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Guides in Marrakech

Hi,

If you are staying in a riad they will have contacts for both walking and driving guides so you should book through them. If you are confident types you won't need a walking guide but a driver can take you to several places in just a few hours if time is short. Three hours or so in a car visiting the main monuments can be done for 200 Dirhams.

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
2,196 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Guides in Marrakech

Hi!and specialy to the excellent himmin2robertson!

I usualy do agree with your lovely and interesting posts..but..would be glad if you can give me the contact of a mini bus with an english talking guide(official..) who can take guests for three hours and more for 200 dh!!

Would be great and if the case..specialy as already said if the guide doesn't take guests to have shopping for commissions!!

For my own..i 'm sorry to say i don't know any mn bus with good driver and an official guide who will take travelers for three hours and more for so short money!!

Sincerely yours,oliver.

ps:we're not talking about old damaged mercedes or small taxis with non official guides("faux guides"),are we?

And the very last point..friends travelers..i even know "guides" offering their services for free AS EXPECTING AGAIN..COMMISSIONS WHEN THEY TAKE YOU AROUND..and i can tell that's not the really best way to discover the town as you have to escape from shops after arguing for hours and drinking tea.with out talking about t arguing after not buying anything with the"guide"!.not very fun&informative!

Cheers!oliver.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,413 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Guides in Marrakech

HI,

Especially Oliver! I was recommending visitors book a driver, trusted by their riad who would take guests round the monuments/gardens. Our guy is not a guide, just a driver and he does indeed do this for 200 Dh in a very comfortable mercedes...not a clapped out one. And why should he have to speak English?. I'm sure many riads have reliable guys they trust to take guests round Marrakech with none of the usual guide type shopping agendas.

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
2,196 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Guides in Marrakech

Morning my friend!

Thanks for beeing sincere and honnest!

For sure,when non official and private cars..or small taxis..(which is not legal and with no autorisation as you know..),no problem!

A small taxi for example will take guests for this amont..but always with the idear to sell something my friend!

Again as you perfectly understood..two choices:

you pay a normal price and the driver and guide(qualified..)doesn't have to take advantage of travelers to earn money..

you pay a very cheap price..and for sure the guy go'ne be tricky!

Sincerely yours,oliver.

Toronto
Level Contributor
26 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Guides in Marrakech

Thanks everyone for the help !