We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tipping?

Hertfordshire. UK
Level Contributor
197 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
tipping?

Hi

We are taking a short desert tour as part of our upcoming holiday.

I have been reading through the posts on tipping, and am still confused how much should be paid to a guide and/or driver (if it is one in the same does this increase the tip?) when you book through a travel agency?

We are trying to "price" our trip and I am trying therefore to take into account the tip above the asking price of the tour companies. I have read varying amounts from regular responders, from 25dH to 200 dH?? If the trip itself is priced at around 100 euro per day, to tip almost 20 per cent of that PER PERSON (ie driver and tourguide) seems exceptionally high??

Guidance would be appreciated, we are not wealthy travellers and do have a budget to stick to but also do not want to offend people who work hard for their money!

Sahara Tours International - Day Tours
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Day Trips, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Deserts
Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
409 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tipping?

The driver and guide are paid from your 100 euros per day and do not NEED a tip. However, if you are happy with their service you may choose to tip them, and it is completely up to you. I would tip them no more than 100 dirhams each at the end of the trip, but less would also be acceptable. Don't feel bullied into tipping too much!

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
Level Contributor
4,311 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tipping?

there are no fixed rules to tipping, but worse than not tipping is undertipping. i have seen and heard tourists leaving 1 dh to driver which he refused to take; others left 10 dh to cleaning lady at a riad after 3 days stay. If you're staying withdriver and a guide for week's tour and are happy with the service, I suggest you leave the guide from 300 to 500 dh; and 200 dh for the driver. that's my personal view

If money is an issue a litlle gift brought from home will be equally appreciated

Hertfordshire. UK
Level Contributor
197 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tipping?

Thanks that is helpful - but to be fair to travellers it is so so so difficult to know how much to tip in each country, and tipping everything can really eat in to a budget. There are I am sure times I have "undertipped", I just hope the recipient understands the intent and that we dont always know what is the "correct" amount.

But I appreciate the rough ideas although already I can see differences and yes i am sure it is personal opinion.....

How on earth much do you leave a cleaning lady at a riad? I barely ever have tipped cleaning ladies in hotels I have stayed at, so in a riad which I am sure is different, I would not have a clue!!!

Merzouga, Morocco
Level Contributor
233 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tipping?

Agree with both of the above, there is no hard rule or set percentage add on. Some trips can work out to be fairly expensive in total and I wouldnt pay a tip based on the total but on the service i received (& also what was within my budget). With a large trip you sometimes get more than one driver/guide and its just not possible to keep on tipping.

Also agree on comment about undertipping, I've read where tourists who were more than happy with the service they received left 10dh (a little under £1) to a driver for a week's tour and were surprised when the driver not only declined to take it but pulled out 20dh from his pocket, insisting they take it and treat themselves on their way home.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tipping?

when tipping, tip only if you felt you received an excellent service. do not tip like an american as they often have no clue about local economies and over tip, so dont feel like you have to compete. In germany we round up and service industry staff appreciate this. Do the same when travelling. The 'tip your hairdresser 20%' should remain the domain of our friends across the atlantic. what is the average wage in morocco? 100 euros a month at most?

Hertfordshire. UK
Level Contributor
197 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tipping?

I really appreciate the replies, but I now again feel the need to strongly say that i think travellers who are perceived to "undertip" should be given a break!

We have had times travelling where LITERALLY we have put everything we have in to our trip, and the only spare money we have had has been under what we should tip - or times when we have not had appropriate change on us - and times that i have had NO CLUE what amount to tip, and we have had to randomly guess. And there have been just as many times I have found out I have OVER tipped (one could if being unfair say and therefore ripped off as I was never given back an excessive tip!) as under!

And can I also add here, that being a New Zealander, we DONT tip back home so tipping is not something I have grown up with and is still quite foreign!!

One can ATTEMPT to learn about the economy of a country, but when you travel a lot, it is really hard to keep up (hence using TripAdvisor!) and even on this forum we can already see what is an "adequate tip" differs greatly.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,801 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tipping?

Hi,

Something to bear in mind about tipping. The basic wage in Morocco is just over 2000 Dirhams per month for full time, 5 days a week employment or 100 Dirhams per day so it's really easy to overtip. This is also something to remember when people ask for 50 Dirhams for a photo or to "help" you find somewhere and also when taking a taxi!

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,526 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tipping?

Having seen and heard of guides living in relative luxury and driving 4x4's I am strongly opposed to giving tips, especially to private guides.

I have tipped, on occasions, group tour guides but nowhere near that suggested, these being not so well paid.

Tipping was never the norm until tourists introduced this and it is not expected by any but greedy guides and others.

Hotel, restaurant, airport staff etc are poorly paid and do deserve something more to supplement their meagre €5 a day wage.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tipping?

Tpping irrespective of country is for when you feel you got a great service. simple. i realise london black cabbies dont like kiwis and aussies because they dont tip the deriver. I dont tip black cab drivers either as i am already paying for their service... just be sensible. At least you wont see a service tax on most moroccon restauarants like the good old 12.5% you get in the UK. so i thiunk its safe to say, dont pay the monkey guy in the centre 5 eurs for a photo, but dont be a tightwad and deprive the lady in the riad that brings you the mint tea a few pennies...

Hertfordshire. UK
Level Contributor
197 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: tipping?

I am a kiwi and I tip London cab drivers more than most of my English colleagues seem to! But KepinItReal I get your point, and I agree, it seems tipping is and always will be a variable thing person to person regarding who to tip and how much. This discussion has been interesting thanks all for your views on this subject!