We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Morocco camel trek = Omar =Great!

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Morocco camel trek = Omar =Great!

I know a lot has already been posted about Omar from cameltrekking.com but I just want to make sure anyone who is thinking about doing a camel trek- or really any kind of Moroccan tour- considers going with Omar.

My boyfriend and I did the three day trek with Omar last September and it was one of ou favorite experiences ever.

Omar is patient and knowledgeable and has a good sense of humour. He answered every one of my million questions throughtfully. He speaks many languages (english, french, a little bit of german and arabic).

The value of the trek is also amazing. The price is very fair and I would way rather travel in Omars SUV than a huge bus like most tourists. He also can tell you the honest truth about Morocco.

We had such a great time we're planning to eventually do his tour to Fez.

If you have any concerns, rest assured you'll be in good hands with him.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,302 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Morocco camel trek = Omar =Great!

Once again, a review only about "the man" rather than "the experience".

Manchester
Destination Expert
for Tangier
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Morocco camel trek = Omar =Great!

This touting advert has been well and truly overdone already. Surely it is time to put an end to this once and for all

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Morocco camel trek = Omar =Great!

Before you go ahead and make accusations you should refer to the long list of reviews I've done for tripadvisor. Touting isn't my style, unless something is great which Omar is.

Perhaps some things get good reviews because they are in fact good. Omar's reviews are about him because he makes the experience enjoyable with his definitive take on Morocco.

AND AS TO THE EXPERIENCE:

We drove from Marrakesh to the Dades Gorge. It was amazing as most tour buses can't make it up there. we toured the Ait Bendahou and Kasbah and stopped several times along the way. Omar kept touts away so as to save us from being bothered. He also stopped often to allow us to take pictures.

We stayed in a nice hotel overnight- nothing facy but the food was delicious. The second day we drove to the dunes at Erg Chebbi. We arrived late so instead of rushing the camel ride (with Omar's personal camels) he took us out to the dunes to run around. That night we ate at his campsite and stayed in nicely done up tents.

We took our camel ride in the morning for about 2 hours to see the sun come up.

The drive back to Marrakesh was long but we listened to Cat Stevens which was funny.

If you have any more comments or questions I would be delighted to answer them.

In the future more positive reponses and led less ripping is appreciated, especially since you yourself had nothing to add.

4. Re: Morocco camel trek = Omar =Great!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 2:14 pm, February 01, 2010
Ashford, Kent...
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Morocco camel trek = Omar =Great!

Does Omar do day trips from Marrakech, if so can I have his web site or contact.

Regards

Bridget

Erg Chebbi, Morocco
Level Contributor
398 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Morocco camel trek = Omar =Great!

Locals??! That's me! or do you mean ...?!

Boston...
Level Contributor
446 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Morocco camel trek = Omar =Great!

My experience with Omar was one of non-response. I had tried to contact Omar several times via email to help me with planning my trip/basic inquiries about his experience - and got no response twice! So, I crossed him off my list. Maybe he lost my emails. Either way, lack of response is not favorable.

Good thing is via TA - someone recommended Kasbah Mohayut and what a fabulous time I had and highly recommend it. Click on my profile to read the review on my overnight in a Berber tent/camel trekking.

Anyway - basic tip - if you go with a private company, do your homework beforehand and correspond with them and see if they meet your needs vs. relying only on reviews here (esp. from people who do not post frequently).

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Morocco camel trek = Omar =Great!

Yes, he was definitely slow getting back to me initially. I would have given up on him but I knew another girl who went and gave me his real email prince_desert2000@yahoo.fr.

But I found the whole situation a bit sketchy to begin with which is why I thought I'd post to let people know he's legit.

You also have to send him cash via Western Union- we figured it was worth the risk and it worked out for us.

9. Re: Morocco camel trek = Omar =Great!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 24, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Marrakech