We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Desert trip in April - is the weather really bad?

England
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Desert trip in April - is the weather really bad?

I'm trying to find out if April is a bad time to go to the desert (propably Erg Chebbi). I've searched a lot on the forums here but haven't seen it mentioned.

I have to admit I've read some of the Lonely Planet on Morocco and it advises fairly strongly against doing a desert trip in April.

I'm only going for 1 week, so would be pretty gutted if the weather was bad, especially as it will involve quite a lot of travel from Marrakech. I'm keen to go to Essouria but my boyfriend wants to go to the desert.

So, how is the weather in April???

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Erg Chebbi, Morocco
Level Contributor
398 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Desert trip in April - is the weather really bad?

Hi;

The weather today is veryy cool (suny and warm); i think it will be good for such a trip. Last year (the last week in April was windy) March and APril are known by its sandstorms; that was before '2006' 3years ago the clima changed a lot (2006 it's the year where there was a flood) since then it rains often in Desert.

i can vouch ;the weather will be good durring April; (that's My own opinion) as we never know what the next days brings up.

Ps. the weather in the desert can change in 1h or less

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,613 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Desert trip in April - is the weather really bad?

Hi, it is not bad weather in April so don´t be worry. I was there many time in April and it was only nice. Maybe some day can be worse but generally it is good weather.

United States
Level Contributor
9,388 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Desert trip in April - is the weather really bad?

In general I believe you run the risk of sand storms in April...maybe this year will b e different but it is a risk.

marrakech
Level Contributor
86 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Desert trip in April - is the weather really bad?

In fact, the weather has become unpredictable all over the world; however, most of the time April is the highly recommended time to visit the desert, the weather in general is warmer.

Good luck.

Erg Chebbi, Morocco
Level Contributor
398 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Desert trip in April - is the weather really bad?

Gene! I' haven't checked out your Posts; so don't know when you have been to the desert! just wondering and i'll just guess it was before (2006); you're right : Apr/Mar are known by the sandstorms; but REALLY the weather changed since summer of 2006. last year it was raining for weeks; (specialy during Oct).

i will post another post to report about the weather in the first week of April.

England
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Desert trip in April - is the weather really bad?

Thanks for all your comments. It's really helpful. I'm getting the general feeling that the sandstorms aren't as likely as they once were, although there's still a small risk.

I think we'll risk it, unless local information at the time says the weather isn't good. However, Fromdesert, if you were able to give a weather update at the beginning of April, that would be great.

Another quick question, is it unrealistic to get back from a desert trip to Marrakech (the plan is to go the Erg Chebbi) and then travel that evening to Essaouria? I so much want to go there but don't think we'll have time, unless we squeeze it in like this, as we want to have our last 2 nights in Marrakech.

Thanks again.

Sophie

Erg Chebbi, Morocco
Level Contributor
398 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Desert trip in April - is the weather really bad?

ok! i will !

Let me suggest this:

-4days desert trip

drive from Marrakesh to Dades. next day from Dades to the desert/ next day from desert to Ouarzazate/the other day from Ouarzazate to Essaouira.

-1day Essaouira

-2days Marrakesh (save the last 2days for Marrakesh)

If you don't know how to deal with time and drive time, then let me know.

Hope this helps you. (Excuse my poor English)

Mentioned in this post
Essaouira
Essaouira
Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz Region, Morocco
England
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Desert trip in April - is the weather really bad?

Hi fromdesert

Thanks again for your advice. Things have changed a little with me as I have now found out I am pregnant and I don't know if the long journey to the desert is a good idea... Maybe it would be okay but I'm just not comfortable with it.

So, now I'm looking for something we can do that's quite chilled and doesn't involve too much travelling around... I'm not sure if the desert/dunes nearer to Marrakech are really that great...

I think we're planning to go to Marrakech for 2/3 nights and the 2/3 nights somewhere else (chilled, relaxing, not too hard/long to get to...) and then finally 2/3 nights back in Marrakesh.. 7 nights in total.

Do you have any suggestions? Sorry to be a pain and thanks so much for your time and advice so far.

Thanks

Sophie

Carthage, Tunisia
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Desert trip in April - is the weather really bad?

Head out to the mountains: Imlil and surrounds or Ourika Valley or similar.

Mentioned in this post
Imlil
Imlil
Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz Region, Morocco
United States
Level Contributor
9,388 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Desert trip in April - is the weather really bad?

You had said you were" keen to go to Essouria".. it is a bit of a drive (3 hours as I remember) but certainly in April it will be very laid back and much quieter than Marrakech (anything is). Stay in a charming riad and wander at your leisure. The Imil idea is nice too....sort of depends on what you like to do for me that Imil area where I only have spent one night would be boring for 3 nights but I'm sure others might see it differently. I think those are two good choices. Good luck and congratulations!