We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The best area to stay in Marrakech

Brasilia
Level Contributor
35 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
The best area to stay in Marrakech

I am planning to go to Marrakech next july and I have been told not to stay in the Medina. I would like to know the best area of town is better to stay. In the Medina is too noisy? I´ve heard about the antiquities area.

Marrakech
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: The best area to stay in Marrakech

The area that you stay in depends on what you prefer. some people like to stay in the medina so that they are in amongst all of the action. Other people prefer to stay in a hotel in Hivernage or Gueliz where they can escape from the medina. you really just have to decide what is best for you. Most hotels in the Hivernage or Gueliz areas are 20-30minutes walk to Jemaa El Fna square. The most important thing is that you find accommodation with a swimming pool, because during July you will probably appreciate it!

Brasilia
Level Contributor
35 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The best area to stay in Marrakech

I am looking for a relaxing place close to good restaurants and shops because I don´t like taking a taxi to go everywhere. Could you suggest a riad with this caracteristics? My bugdet is moderate like USD 180.

East Gwillimbury...
Level Contributor
2,232 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The best area to stay in Marrakech

Hi Angie.

As 'heresmyreply' pointed out: Location of hotel really comes down to personal tastes.

I recommend staying right in the medina, in a riad. There are plenty of good choices within your budget.

It is noisy out in the souk and on the streets, but inside of the riad, it is VERY peaceful, exotic & quiet (except for call to prayer, of course).

You can walk to most places of interest if staying in the medina, and you're surrounded by places to eat, shop and soak up the atmosphere.

What were you told was "bad" about staying in the medina?

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The best area to stay in Marrakech

Hi,

give a check at these riads:

- www.riadidra.com

- www.riad-selouane.com

Close at taxi station

- lesjardinsdemouassine.com/lesjardins_en.html

Not fare away from the taxi station.

Cheers

Brasilia
Level Contributor
35 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The best area to stay in Marrakech

My friends who have been to Marrakech a month ago told me that the Medina is quite noisy and the hassle is unbearable. They prefer to stay away from there and take a taxi. Tey also told me that the best shops are not in the souks. Is that correct? I intent to buy pottery, metalcrafts and silver jewels.

East Gwillimbury...
Level Contributor
2,232 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The best area to stay in Marrakech

Yes, the medina is hectic & chaotic, but it is the REAL heart of Marrakech. Like I said earlier, once inside a riad, you will think that you are in a different world chaos outside.

You will discover that the "havoc" and flavour in the medina are the really fun part of visiting the city!

You will find pretty much whatever you are looking for in the souks. Be prepared to haggle for EVERYTHING, and never pay more than you feel something is worth. Simply walk on if you are not satisfied, as there will be many more options of what you seek...just around the next corner...

There is nothing to fear!

penna
Level Contributor
2,731 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The best area to stay in Marrakech

riad Omar

it is about 2 min walk from djama el fna and about 5 min from the taxi stand.

from there u can walk almost anywhere with out taxi's

Washington, DC
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: The best area to stay in Marrakech

I came back from Morocco last week after 10 days in the country. In the Marrakech medina it takes longer than normal to reach small distances because everyone is negotiating passage- motorbikes, LOTS of people, coaches,animals, but that's also part of the fun. If you want to experience that, get lost in numerous alleys, randomly explore, the medina is your choice. And of course, once you reach the riad, it's more tranquil. But if you prefer sort of a more standard environment with a french feel (and where you will be less bothered), you'd pick gueliz or hivernage, that are not far from the medina and you will find more activities at night.

On another note, Marrakech was not the highlight for me. That's where I found the most aggressive and sometimes even hostile people. We (a group of 4 females) stayed in a riad about 10 min. walk from djema el fna. Not only people approach you for money, but they forcefully demand a certain amount. On the same night, I was grabbed by a woman who chased me for 100 dirhams (10 euros) and almost went physical with my friend, and a vendor who grabbed my shoulder and shouted that we were "racist americans" once we left his store without buying anything. My point is, be aware that you might be faced with hostility and agressive behaviour when you eye a product and don't buy, and sometimes simply for being a foreigner who doesn't give in to whatever people ask for.

Most people I encountered were not that friendly or receptive to foreigners. They would treat you well as long as you were a source for $, and once "transactions" were over, they would either get cold or be aggressive. Don't know if this has changed from the past as poverty is abound, but just don't buy the rosy picture from the pc squad, to whom everyone in Morocco is overly nice, warm and hospitable just for the sake of it.

Oh, and in Marrakech, don't miss the hammam experience. You can send me a private msg if you want more info. Btw, are you also Brazilian? I'm from Brasilia myself but living in the US now. Cheers!

falls church, va
Level Contributor
43 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The best area to stay in Marrakech

Another option is to stay a few nights in the medina and few outside the medina--they are completely different experiences. My travel group thought that the Gueliz was a little bland. If you want to experience Marrakech, stay in the medina. Also, everything shuts down by 8 or 9, so we didn't find noise to be an issue. Then again, our riad was off a side street, north of the souks.

I am sorry that the previous poster had such a terrible experience. We found everyone to be friendly and helpful. Yes, our tourism is a source of their business. I don't know how that's different than your credit card operator only being nice to you on the phone because you are a customer. Frankly, I've been more harassed in parts of DC and NYC. Some tips: Don't linger in a store if you don't expect to buy. Keep walking and don't make eye contact if you don't want to buy anything. Dress conservatively--you'll attract less attention. It's a different country and a different culture, and I think, a fascinating one. Yes, there are people who want money, but a firm "no, merci" and walking away is very effective.

10. Re: The best area to stay in Marrakech

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 pm, August 20, 2009