We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cactus silk, what is it?

Mexico
Level Contributor
28 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Cactus silk, what is it?

Can anyone tell me what cactus silk is? Does it come from some cactus/maguey fiber? Or is it just something made up for tourists.

If it is made from cactus does anyone know where it is produced? Also what is it called in French Soie de cactus?? and what is the common name for it in Morocco.

Thanks a lot

Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Carthage, Tunisia
Level Contributor
1,044 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cactus silk, what is it?

The so-called "silk" is made from the agave cactus and the carpet salesmen love holding a match to it to show that it is not flammable. Carpets/rugs and other goods made from it are available all over Morocco.

Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Mexico
Level Contributor
28 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cactus silk, what is it?

Hi, thank you, just if it is made from a cactus, fo you know how do they make it into a fiber long enough to weave it?

Also do you know how they get the fiber out of the cactus? Really curious as I can'y see how they can weave with it.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,585 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cactus silk, what is it?

Cactus silk is really RAYON - a natural fibre made of plant cellelose and produced in Morocco.

Rayon holds the chemical dyes well which accounts for the vibrant range of true colors (natural dyes cannot produce a "true" colour).

On offer are rugs, scarves, handbags, tablecloths, bedspreads and throws in stunning colors. Some merchants try to charge a premium price for this "cactus silk".

I would like to know how I can distinguish between real silk and this artificial silk - anyone?

Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Mexico
Level Contributor
28 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cactus silk, what is it?

Well I can tell you how to check if a natural fibre.. like silk,wool,cotton is REAl or not... you take a thread and burn it... ever smelled burned hair?.. well that is what a "natural" fiber should smell like.

If it is synthetic it will burn like a match or will produce "globs"...or smoke

Still going back to the cactus silk... just I live in Mexico and we DO have a fiber called ixtle, that is made out of agave/maguey type cactus.

My curiosity is piqued to know whether they use this to weave with or the "rayon" which was info I found in Wikipedia so I was trying to find someone in Morocco who mught know the REAl honest truth.

Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
5. Re: Cactus silk, what is it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 pm, October 11, 2009
;