We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Decent hotel for overnight Stay

LONDON
Level Contributor
1,673 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Decent hotel for overnight Stay

Hi myself and my Daughter will be arriving in Essaouira tomorrow. She has now decided she would like a day trip to Marrakech. From the advice of the good people on that forum, will will make it overnight. So, armed with a budget of approx £150.00 can someone recommend somewhere that's close to the medina/well located? We've never been to Morocco before and never so unorganised! We will be arriving by bus. Thanks :)

12 replies to this topic
Taroudant, Morocco
Level Contributor
2,848 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Decent hotel for overnight Stay

My best advice, since you've never been to Morocco before, is to not rush off to Marrakech right away, even though you might want to as you are likely to find a cold wind in Essaouira at this time of year.

It might have been better, in my opinion, to fly directly to Marrakech to begin with.

Somebody other than me will suggest a suitable hotel for you in Marrakech.

Do you have a Morocco guidebook?

North Ayrshire...
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Decent hotel for overnight Stay

I can recommend my 'irregular' hotel where I always stay when I'm either passing through Marrakesh or on a return journey to monitor any changes in the landscape, Hotel Grand Tazi may not be to everybody's taste but I'm always intrigued by its unique decadent atmosphere and people-watching opportunities, there is definitely a palpable "Basil Fawlty" ambience, here is my last review, a little dated but still relevant, the hotel is only a five minute walk down to the Djemma el Fna square and its location is safe to walk around after dark......

https:/…

Edited: 8:36 am, December 18, 2017
LONDON
Level Contributor
1,673 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Decent hotel for overnight Stay

Thank you for your replies. David, obviously it would have been better to fly into there,now I just want to see if this is feasible. Kaptain, thank you, I'll take a look.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
10,043 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Decent hotel for overnight Stay

Please have a look at these reviews before deciding on this downmarket hotel;

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29373…

There are many decent hotels here.

Matlock
Level Contributor
111 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Decent hotel for overnight Stay

Hotel Grand Tazi may be well situated but it is also is well known for its dubious clientele and nocturnal activities and, in my humble opinion, it's a place that is definitely best avoided (I am speaking from experience, as well since, many years ago, I did once stay there through necessity). Have you thought about staying in a riad rather than a hotel, many of which are situated inside the medina and at the heart of Moroccan daily life? I have stayed a few times at Riad Alwachma which is well situated, extremely reasonably priced and well within your budget. I've also had a recent stay at Riad Dixneuf la Ksour which was also very good and has an excellent location inside the medina. It's more expensive than Riad Alwachma but still within your budget.

LONDON
Level Contributor
1,673 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Decent hotel for overnight Stay

Thanks Susan-I'll have a look :)

North Ayrshire...
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Decent hotel for overnight Stay

The elephant bloke's hyperlink at post number four is not working, so there is only my introspective Virtualtourist review to rely on, I wanted to edit out the mosquitoes and replace them with fleas ( a slight inaccuracy there) but I recently read that the Tazi's flea problem has been sorted out, so everybody can relax.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
8,043 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Decent hotel for overnight Stay

There are hotels starting at 120 drh or so ... hotel Imouzzer is 'decent'.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
7,013 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Decent hotel for overnight Stay

£150 is a very good budget for the Medina - there are some great luxury riads for that kind of price or I recommend one of the boutique hotels like Les Jardins De La Medina

I have no idea why on the earth the Kaptain would recommend one of the most basic budget hotels to someone who clearly is looking for a bit of luxury !

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
2,485 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Decent hotel for overnight Stay

Hi happytraveller.

Sure you gone have a great trip indeed!

Mixing with one day in Marrakech might be a good idea.

Without any kind of diplomacy..( at all..)..just forget the gentle recommendation of Kaptain regarding the Hotel Tazi as really not the "dream spot " illustrated by the numerous posts about this place from our illustrate friend..

Really..you can get much better .and especially with a 150 £/night ..much nicer good options here on Trip with having a look on the much better rated places and checking the reviews & pictures beforehand.

Also maybe..ask the place you choose if a pick-up from the bus station to the Riad is suitable to arrive smoothly I might kindly say.

Hope it will help and a great trip in any case.

Yours,Olli.

Reply to: Decent hotel for overnight Stay
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted