We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety

10 posts
Save Topic
Safety

Is traveling in Morocco safe taking into consideration normal precautions anyone should take when traveling in unfamiliar environments?

We are looking to travel in May of 2018 for a two week excursion to multiple cities.

Thanks in advance!

7 replies to this topic
Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
10,586 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety

Yes, it is safe in Morocco and you can travel without problem. Use your common sense.

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,915 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety

Lauren S. I would answer your question with just one word. Yes!

Do you have specific safety concerns?

Taroudant, Morocco
Level Contributor
2,848 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety

What kind of traveling do you mean? Are you thinking of renting a car and driving yourselves?

It's the best way to experience Morocco. The two comments above are correct.

I only want to advise that you don't try to visit too many places with only 2 weeks available.

Why "multiple cities"? You will find a more genuine Morocco in smaller towns, imo.

You have time between now and May to study your guidebook and come up with a more interesting itinerary.

Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety

Morocco is no. 74 on the list of UNSAFE countries. Number one is Syria, so you can consider Morocco to be very safe. Just take normal precautions as when ever you travel. If you want to see a big chunk of Morocco in the time you have, I would recommend you use a private tour company. Moroccan Tour companies have knowledgeable drivers who speak English.

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
2,464 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety

Hi there.

Already some hundreds of posts regarding the security on-line here on the forum with checking the k word " safety Marrakech "

https://www.tripadvisor.com/SearchForums…

This said, all is more than fine and no concern.

Yours, Olli.

North Ayrshire...
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety

It is only as safe as it's humanly possible, but who can predict the actions of the feared 'lone wolf'......to this end the Moroccan government have despatched armed paramilitaries to patrol and protect the city streets, one officer is in radio contact with his HQ should an emergency response be necessary.

Note that filming police and army is discouraged, and can lead to fines and confiscation of equipment, but I get special dispensation!

travellerspoint.com/photos/…

North Ayrshire...
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety

I forgot to add......if you are travelling in Morocco for two weeks in May 2018 you might bump into part of the annual religious fast of Ramadan, the dates are 15th May to 14th June with maybe a day extra on each side of these dates, depending on the sighting of the moon at Mecca. It's not the best time to be in Morocco when all daily routines are turned upside down and the weather will be hot and the days long. The daily enforced fast affects Muslims more than foreign tourists, but Google the word "Ramadan" to discover the possible disruption to your plans.

I made the mistake of arriving in Tangier in June 1985 during Ramadan, out of ignorance, and made a point of never repeating that mistake!

Reply to: Safety
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted