We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tree climbing goat

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
tree climbing goat

hi there, we have 3 days in marrakesh and are looking to see the tree climbing goats. Im wondering whats the best way to do this?

Ive read some post that there are tour bus for day trip to essaouira, but they are likely to stop in the "Staged" spots where the goats are forced up there and wouldnt move at all...would like to avoid this if possbile. If we hore a taxi, how much would it cost? Im not that interested in essaouira itself, debating whether if it make sense to return to marrakesh as soon as we see the goats.

17 replies to this topic
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,633 posts
11 reviews
1. Re: tree climbing goat

The goats go up the Argan tree for the nuts which they eat; they are not forced to go up. I challenge anyone to force a single goat to go up in the trees let alone a flock of 30.

As far as I am aware there are no Argan goats in the Marrakech region, you need to be travelling from Agadir to Essaouira to see them. You mayt get aa glimpse of them travelling from Marrakech to Essaouira but it's not a practical solution unless you wanted to go to Essaouira.

BTW, the driver of a tour bus will stop at a tree only when the goats are there; this will enable the driver/tour guide/goat herder to all share in the generosity of the coach party. I've been asked to pay 100Dh for the privilege of photographing them but would advise anyone to pay no more than 10-20Dh.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
12,198 posts
67 reviews
2. Re: tree climbing goat

The goats climb the argan trees to get at the fruit pulp that surrounds the nut. The fruit ripens in June-July so you may have missed it—unless someone else knows better?

Forcing goats onto trees for staged photos would be an art akin to herding cats. They will either climb of their free will or they won't climb.

Ha! Just read John's response which came in whilst I was composing. It seems we are of a like mind.

Edited: 9:33 am, October 12, 2017
Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
12,198 posts
67 reviews
3. Re: tree climbing goat

The greatest concentration of Argan trees is in the Souss region south of Agadir, stretching south towards Tafraoute where some mountain vistas must include over one million Argan trees (so much for supposed rarity).

I've never ridden Essaouira to Marrakech so I don't know whether there's any trees along that route.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
10,061 posts
67 reviews
4. Re: tree climbing goat

You do see goats foraging in the trees between Marrakech and Essaouira but as TimCullis says it is seasonal and at the whim of the goats so you may not be lucky.

North Ayrshire...
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
53 reviews
5. Re: tree climbing goat

The famous Argan tree-climbing goats can be spotted virtually anywhere between Essaouira and Agadir, in this instance Diabat Village, they do not have to be placed on the tree by the shepherd for a tourist photo opportunity and fat tip, if hungry and left to their own devices they will strip away the easy-to-reach lower foliage on the trees before attempting the delicate balancing climb to the upper branches.

In the pictures below the white leader goat tries in vain to reach his dinner by standing upright, then decides the only way to find a feed is to start climbing, the rest of the goats then follow suite.....

travellerspoint.com/photos/…

travellerspoint.com/photos/…

The goats don't exclusively feed on the Argan tree fruit and leaves, as I was passing a large commercial wheel bin in Diabat village I heard a loud scraping noise coming from the bin, thinking it was maybe a cat trapped inside I approached for a closer look, then a goat lept out of the bin, it had been feasting on piles of discarded vegetable food waste which looked like green bean pods, I was about to put the goat back in the bin to finish its dinner but it ran away, startled by my presence!

Kenitra, Morocco
Level Contributor
2,430 posts
107 reviews
6. Re: tree climbing goat

Nice post Kaptain ☺

Edited: 5:55 pm, October 12, 2017
England, United...
Level Contributor
1,288 posts
49 reviews
7. Re: tree climbing goat

There's a spot on the Marrakech to Essaouira road (closer to latter) that's had goats on trees on my last 3 trips

and at different times of the year. We've pulled in to watch the tourists watch the goats, and watch the goat-herders do a brisk trade collecting cash from them.

I'm guessing they are indeed 'forcing' the goats to climb the same trees. Placing feed on branches perhaps? I dunno. But whatever they are doing, it works, and the goats have been on the same small collection of trees each time. If there are tourists willing to pay to watch goats in trees, you can be damn sure than some enterprising Moroccans will get those goats up trees!

Edited: 10:20 am, October 13, 2017
Ann Arbor,Mi
Level Contributor
63 posts
18 reviews
8. Re: tree climbing goat

we went to essaouria a few weeks back and didnt see any.Think it was the wrong time of the year.I would have gladly seen staged ones.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
9,346 posts
149 reviews
9. Re: tree climbing goat

We saw a goats in the trees in Essaouira. You might see a few. Good luck!

thornaby on tees
Destination Expert
for Port El Kantaoui
Level Contributor
3,237 posts
87 reviews
10. Re: tree climbing goat

We had a week in Agadir and on the way to Essaouira for a day trip we passed the goats in the trees, this was in the middle of May, the boy's had planks of wood leading up to the lower branches so the goats could climb up, this was staged for for the tourist coaches passing, when the coach stop's they try and sell a strip of photo cards to the tourists, nice little earner for them.

alan

Reply to: tree climbing goat
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted