We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marrakech airport

3 posts
Save Topic
Marrakech airport

We are flying home from Morocco tomorrow morning, (10.55), via Marrakech airport with Ryanair. Just picked up an email from Ryanair suggesting we arrive 3 hours early due to enhanced Moroccan security. Is this really necessary? I've read that they have been suggesting this for a while. If that is so and there really is an issue, surely telling everyone sooner would have been better. Short notice I know, but has anyone been through Marrakech airport recently?

15 replies to this topic
Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
11,502 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marrakech airport

Who is best placed to know? Probably Ryanair.

You're alternative is to not do as you are told and then miss the flight. Don't forget to complain though. ;)

3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Marrakech airport

Very helpful

Stowmarket, United...
Level Contributor
336 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marrakech airport

To be fair Tim was spot on. Ryanair has been recommending 3 hours for a while, have I ever needed 3 hours at Marrakech, well no I havent. But here's the thing..maybe I have been lucky and the next time I will need 3 hours.

For the sake of getting up 60 minutes earlier, I would be much more relaxed.

3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Marrakech airport

In the airport lounge. Time from drop off to being airside, 90 minutes. And I agree, for the sake of getting up earlier, why risk it? We were however about 45 minutes from the airport, with transport booked that should have and did, get us to the airport with a good two and a half hours to get through. We were unable to contact transport, so leaving earlier would have meant abandoning prebooked and paid for transport and arranging new transport. I have read that Ryanair have been suggesting 3 hours for some time. I have alao been unable to find anyone who needed to be here 3 hours before take off, hence my question to any recent travellers. I was unaware if the email received was due to a new risk or just ongoing Morrocan security. It also begs the question as to why Ryanair don't tell people sooner if they want you there 3 hours before take off, as let's face it, not everyone has access to email whilst abroad.

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,192 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marrakech airport

I've departed 7 times in the last two years, including this summer, and have always arrived 2 hours before my flight. On none of these occasions did I feel rushed and usually have about an hour in the departure lounge. Ryainair have been sending these emails for years.

London, United...
Level Contributor
281 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marrakech airport

Reply won't be any good for OP but for anyone else that may need this info... I took Ryanair on Saturday and also recieved an email asking to arrive 3 hours early due to construction at the airport and that check in will close 60 mins before departure time. We got to airport at around 8.30-8.45 for the 10.55 flight and got everything done in good time.

Edited: 11:12 am, September 10, 2017
Poole, United...
Level Contributor
292 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Marrakech airport

Never known queues and security like it, both entering and departing Morocco over the past 10 days. I moaned lots and there seemed to be unnecessary duplication of checking documents, passports, etc. but much prefer it that way and a safe journey than anything else.

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,912 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Marrakech airport

I flew with Ryanair to Marrakech in May of this year. Having flown to Marrakech a number of times in the past and always found getting through the airport immigration, baggage claim etc to be a fairly swift and smooth process I was not prepared for the endless queues at immigration this time. It was not because of lack of staff at the desks either! I was more than relieved that I'd gone to the loo before joining the queue! Once through immigration, and on through the baggage hall although I was travelling with just hand luggage on this occasion, I then had to join another very long queue where all bags were being scanned before exit.

For my return, I allowed the Ryanair recommended 3 hours and it is a good job I did as again the airport was very busy. As I had my printed boarding card I went straight to join the queue to pass security and go airside. Mistake! I got turned away because I had not been to 'Check In'. I trundled off to Ryanair check in where they stamped and tore my boarding card and then took my hand luggage from me to go in the hold, even though I'd paid the extra to ensure it was able to go in the cabin. They told me that I was late checking in!

The building works and improvements/enlargement to Marrakech airport has (or at least had when I went through) certainly caused some delays of people movement and it is definitely wise to allow as much time as possible, especially if the airline have advised you of a specific time allowance.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
20 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Marrakech airport

The customs and security queues, especially the customs queue, always seem to crawl at Marrakech airport. Better to arrive early as indicated by the airline. Also, once checking in your bags, don't linger in the pre-security airport shops/cafes. You can do all of that on the other side after you get through security/customs.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
9,023 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Marrakech airport

We checked in 3 hours prior a few months ago. We had about an hour to spare. It was much better than not having the time. Have lunch.

Reply to: Marrakech airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted