We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One night overnight from Marrakech? Help ASAP please!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
228 posts
1 review
Save Topic
One night overnight from Marrakech? Help ASAP please!

Hello :)

My husband and I are currently in Marrakech. We only have four more nights, (our flight leaves at 19:00 the fifth day) and would like to do a worthwhile overnight. We have been looking into finding a little riad such as Jnane Imlil, or potentially Zagora.

I know Zagora is not the real desert, but my husband is rather enchanted with the idea of Berber tents or the like. Help? :p

Please help with any recommendations! Really we do only have one overnight to spend away from our current riad, and would like to see interesting things on the way to/from our overnight.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

Mentioned in this post
Marrakech
Marrakech
Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz Region, Morocco
Imlil
Imlil
6 replies to this topic
Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
11,435 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One night overnight from Marrakech? Help ASAP please!

Zagora is a nightmare journey from Marrakech and involves crossing both the High Atlas mountains and the Anti Atlas mountains. Think in terms of nine hours plus coffee and lunch stops. And when you get there, Zagora is nothing special. You would need to travel another 90km to M'Hamid, then 45 minutes in a 4x4 to reach any serious sand dunes. And the next day all the way back again.

However... Imlil and Riad Jnane is an excellent choice with less than two hours on the road to reach it. And it's about 9ºC cooler than Marrakech at the moment.

Please let us know how you get on, we make recommendations but rarely hear back from people.

Edited: 10:45 am, August 22, 2017
Mentioned in this post
Marrakech
Marrakech
Hotel Atlas
Hotel Atlas
159 Reviews
Marrakech, Morocco
Imlil
Imlil
Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
10,260 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One night overnight from Marrakech? Help ASAP please!

As Tim say so also I say that Zagora is nothing to see and you have to travel to M'Hamid if you want to see something. But one night is not worth all traveling from and back to Marrakech.

If you want to feel you a little as in the desert, go to Agafy desert, it is 1 hour from Marrakech and they have not really Berber but tent anyway so you can stay over there. But, it is quite expensive. Google Agafy desert so you get some suggestions. But, if you look at pictures of Agafy desert on google be aware that sand dunes are not in this desert, pictures of sand dunes are wrong located there from those people who do not know geografy.

Mentioned in this post
Marrakech
Marrakech
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
228 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: One night overnight from Marrakech? Help ASAP please!

Thank you both! We are loving it here and have not decided for certain whether we're going to make any trip, but if we do, I will definitely come back and let you know.

If we are to do anything of the sort, it will be the mentioned riad in Imlil, I think. Thank you for your responses!

If we do not leave Marrakesh, what are some things you would recommend we do and see? We have just been walking the souks and spending time in Jemaa el Fna, meeting and talking to people, but haven't really done much else. Recommendations welcome there, also!

Mentioned in this post
Imlil
Imlil
Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
6,846 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One night overnight from Marrakech? Help ASAP please!

if you dont want to do an overnight then you should still do a daytrip to Imlil - its only 90mins away and highly recommended

Level Contributor
195 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: One night overnight from Marrakech? Help ASAP please!

We are back in Marrakech next March!Love it!Iv booked 2 nights in a raid in Marrakech then on to Imlil staying at Inane Tihinit for 3 days then on to Ourigane staying at Kasbah Africa for 2 days.Marrakech is a great place but so are the surrounding areas.Hope you find somewhere!

Mentioned in this post
Marrakech
Marrakech
Imlil
Imlil
Kasbah Africa
Kasbah Africa
293 Reviews
Ouirgane, Morocco
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
228 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: One night overnight from Marrakech? Help ASAP please!

We decided to book overnight at Riad Jnane Imlil - thank you all for your kind advice! I will come back and let you know how it was, bit I expect it to be lovely. :D

Mentioned in this post
Riad Jnane Imlil
Riad Jnane Imlil
164 Reviews
Imlil, Morocco
Reply to: One night overnight from Marrakech? Help ASAP please!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted