We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marrakech currency exchange at the airport.

England
Level Contributor
36 posts
13 reviews
14 helpful votes
Marrakech currency exchange at the airport.

Hello,

Does anyone know if there is a currency exchange office at Marrakech Menara airport in the arrival hall? I know there is an ATM but I would rather use an exchange office to avoid the card fees.

Do the exchange offices offer a good rate?

Thanks!

29 replies to this topic
Elst, The...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
1 helpful vote
11. Re: Marrakech currency exchange at the airport.

Geen geld opnemen op de AirPort bij Cuurency Exchanges. Ze willen je paspoort, ze proberen je ervan te overtuigen om meer geld op te nemen, omdat dit goedkoper is.

Wanneer je door de douane bent, kun je voordat je naar buiten gaat pinnen. Betrouwbaarder en veel goedkoper!

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
13,735 posts
68 reviews
80 helpful votes
12. Re: Marrakech currency exchange at the airport.

@Angela M: good advice but not many people will understand your post as this is an English forum

Europe
Level Contributor
1,356 posts
29 reviews
18 helpful votes
13. Re: Marrakech currency exchange at the airport.

Is this about Apple discontinuing the AirPort routers?

London, United...
Level Contributor
310 posts
13 reviews
9 helpful votes
14. Re: Marrakech currency exchange at the airport.

No. The Dutch post is explaining that "Currency Exchange" in the arrivals hall is a very poor, predatory choice to change money in.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
13,735 posts
68 reviews
80 helpful votes
15. Re: Marrakech currency exchange at the airport.

Jean P: I'm not happy with the 3TB Airport Time Time Capsule discontinuation. Might buy one of the last.

Nicosia, Cyprus
1 post
16. Re: Marrakech currency exchange at the airport.

Does anyone know if there is a currency exchange office at Marrakech Menara airport in the arrival hall?

Luton, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
3,159 posts
11 reviews
7 helpful votes
17. Re: Marrakech currency exchange at the airport.

Yes, there are bureaux de change, banks and ATMs. Unless you plan to use an ATM, you will find the exchange rates offered in Marrakech itself are slightly better than at the airport so perhaps only change enough for your immediate needs until you reach town.

penna
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
Level Contributor
7,103 posts
43 reviews
14 helpful votes
18. Re: Marrakech currency exchange at the airport.

If you go from arrivals to the departure area ( you do not have to exit building you can go down connecting hall ) you will see a few exchange booths and a few ATM . The exchange booth that is in the luggage reclamation area has had a much worse rate the the ones in the check in area. ( do not let the booth in the luggage reclamation area talk you into their Moroccan exchange credit card which has high per use charges and is hard to use at all in Morocco)

As stated before when in Marrakech the exchange booth at hotel Ali usually has the best rate in town.

Luton, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
3,159 posts
11 reviews
7 helpful votes
19. Re: Marrakech currency exchange at the airport.

Of course, I agree with the additional advice supplied by comicman.

Just to make sure that the oft-repeated advice about Hotel Ali still holds true, I did a little survey of exchange facilities in Marrakech a couple of weeks ago and Hotel Ali still came out on top.

Granted that I was exchanging a sizeable chunk of money, I managed to save myself about £25 by walking down to Hotel Ali rather than using the bureau de change outside my riad.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
18 posts
7 reviews
4 helpful votes
20. Re: Marrakech currency exchange at the airport.

I just went through the airport and took comicman's advise. There are several banks at the check in area with better exchange rates than you get where you pick up your luggage. For example, at the moment, the midmarket value is 1 eur = 10.8 MAD. The exchange companies give 1eur = 10.4 MAD and the banks were giving 1 eur = 10.6 MAD. There is also an exchange company at the arrivals that offers the same rate as at baggage pickup.

I ended up going with the exchange company at arrivals for several reasons. The banks were either busy or they seemed temporarily unoccupied. So I didn't get a chance to ask if they charged commissions but that would have made it not worth it for me if they have a commisison. Also the exchange company was actually really nice and let me change just 10 euros of my 50 eur banknote and also gave me the dihram in smaller units when I requested.

So basically I was able to get just enough to get on the bus into town. I didn't use an atm because I was afraid that I would get huge bills and wouldn't be able to get change on the bus. I've had this trouble in other countries and read that it might be an issue here. Turns out the bus 19 is really flexible with making change and super helpful in general so it didn't matter in the end. I wish I just changed all 50 eur at the airport.

Finally as a rebuttal to Timcullis' mean spirited first post, airports are not always the worst place to change money. For example, in central america I've gotten exchange rates very close to the actual exchange rate in airports. And even here, a 4% upcharge on conversion is not that bad compared to, e.g, a 25% upcharge at the last airport exchange in Spain where I inquired. Also it's pretty close to a credit card's foreign transaction fees (even my 'no foreign transaction fee' visa charges me 1-2% by using their own made-up conversion rate). The point being: exchanging money in the Marrakech airport is not a bad deal even if you can get better rates in town. But if you're on really budget travel or changing a ton of money, then by all means do it in town.

Reply to: Marrakech currency exchange at the airport.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted