We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marrakech Antique Guide

Greensboro NC
Level Contributor
63 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Marrakech Antique Guide

Looking for a guide who really knows the places to go to find those really unique items in Fez or Marrakech and then help get them shipped back to the US.

Mentioned in this post
Marrakech
Marrakech
Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz Region, Morocco
Casablanca, Morocco
Level Contributor
6,384 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marrakech Antique Guide

And if you use one, you will pay double or triple the price you would have than had you sought out the goods yourself. ANY shopping trips with a guide are exploitative of the foreigner. The guides earn huge commissions by taking you to shops they have arrangements with and they also "negotiate" a high price so that they and the owner can cream off the excess. And how do you know that the goods are "those really unique items"? Because the guide says so?

Never let a guide or a shop ship for you. You risk the goods never arriving. Do it yourself. Having said that, shipping is very expensive.

Drop this idea please, before you get badly burnt.

California
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marrakech Antique Guide

My guess would be that any genuine antiquities would have been gleaned at least a half century ago. Do not believe anyone who tells you otherwise.

California
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marrakech Antique Guide

Yes, Mish, shipping even by post is VERY expensive. I have only had one pkg disappear and I took the precaution of only mailing inexpensive souvenirs. Would not take the risk of doing otherwise especially in the hands of others. To OP: If you intend to profit from the economy in Morocco you will lose. Morocco has a long history of trade with Europe and Moroccans are not ignorant of the worth of their goods to outsiders.

Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Europe
Europe
World
Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marrakech Antique Guide

I doubt you would find a guide who has any specific expertise in antiques - I have heard of guides who help people to shop but thats more about just navigating the various areas of the souks to find the right things, but I have no personal experience so cant recommend anyone.

A lot of what mishmish says is true as well, although I do know many people who have bought and shipped items back home without any issues but still you need to be careful.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
11,437 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marrakech Antique Guide

Moroccan antiques are anything over one week old, suitably aged.

My first experience of scamming in Morocco was on our honeymoon in 1974 when I bought a beautiful piece of amethyst. I washed it when we got home and all the purple dye came off.

Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
Level Contributor
4,370 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marrakech Antique Guide

ok Guides get a cut or commission . They may not certified experts on antiques but there are your best resort to find what you're looking for. In Marrakech best places for real stuff can are few but they are there is you look hard or ask your your hotel/riad.

Mentioned in this post
Marrakech
Marrakech
Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz Region, Morocco
Casablanca, Morocco
Level Contributor
6,384 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Marrakech Antique Guide

Could you point the OP in the direction of these few places that have the real deal? I know El Jadida like the back of my hand and I wouldn't have a clue where to get true antiques from.

In Casablanca, the OP might be very lucky and stumble over something in the Soco de Moina but nowhere else. Usually anything that is truly special or valuable would have been passed on to established exporters or dealers that no one is going to be able to get hold of because they are selling to people living in the California district of Casa or similar, just private sales.

I can't imagine that Marrakech is any different. In addition there is the question of probity - "antiques" in Morocco were made yesterday and dumped onto the market. That's why there are so many of them.

Just a quick clarification in response to a comment above. I was referring to people allowing guides or shops doing the shipping for them. Going this route lays one open to the goods never arriving and we have seen enough such stories here in the fora. Sending stuff oneself is a different matter. The goods usually arrive.

Edited: 10:21 am, May 03, 2017
Mentioned in this post
El Jadida
El Jadida
Doukkala-Abda Region, Morocco
Casablanca
Casablanca
Grand Casablanca Region, Morocco
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
8. Re: Marrakech Antique Guide

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, May 05, 2018