We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private tour guide for a day in Marrakech

SEATTLE
Level Contributor
239 posts
326 reviews
Save Topic
Private tour guide for a day in Marrakech

Hello, independent female traveler need a tour guide for a day in Marrakesh.

I'm going on a tour, but I would like to do some extra sights on our full day @ leisure.

Please advise.

Thanks

22 replies to this topic
Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
7,007 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Private tour guide for a day in Marrakech

best to ask your accomodation to recommend a guide or check the reviews on here

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
67 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Private tour guide for a day in Marrakech

Did you decide on a private guide? I am going in July. Two ladies traveling together. I would also like a private guide for two 1/2 days.

SEATTLE
Level Contributor
239 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Private tour guide for a day in Marrakech

I heard about Mohammed Adif. apperantly he is fantastic, he was mention on this wedsite and he does have a lot of good reviews somethinginherramblings.com/local-marrakech/ . I did talked to him via email. He doesn't have a Website , which it make me a little uneasy... so I might go with the one my hotel can provide (four Seasons), I believe is safer for me since I will be on my own. here is Mohammed info.

daif996@gmail.com if you happen to used him please let me know, I might change my mine... he sounce very nice and well educated, speaks perfect English.

Good luck and please let me know.

Casablanca, Morocco
Level Contributor
6,384 posts
450 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Private tour guide for a day in Marrakech

Just make sure that any guide is authorised to take tourists and is not an unofficial one. Insist that you don't want to go to any shops at all, especially carpet shops. If the guide persists despite your instructions, dismiss him instantly without pay.

I never use guides but if I ever had to I'd get one from the tourist office because if he misbehaves, they will support you.

California
Level Contributor
1,568 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Private tour guide for a day in Marrakech

Totally agree with Mish if you MUST have a guide. If you want some "leisure" time, go out on your own so you can sit at a cafe and watch people. Relax. You do not need a guide at all. You may want to see something intriguing and want to turn left. He will turn you right! There is NOTHING he can show you that is not in a guidebook.

SEATTLE
Level Contributor
239 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Private tour guide for a day in Marrakech

Hi, all :)

Mish , I will make sure as you say he is certified

I normally travel on my own, done 5 continents but I also like to be safe and relax while I'm traveling , so I contacted the Four Seasons and they

are arrenging everything for me and I will have a guaranty I'll be safe. Yes, I will email them the sights . Normally I use day tours as a compliment to my own where abouts if I need to with local companies but I could not find anything that I like so I though well a 1 on 1. private guide is my best option , they will cater to my specification and is not that expensive at all 90 euros full day .

Thanks Gailann , yes you are right and I see you point of view , but I have gotten great experiences with private guides before and never has a complain , they have always cater to my friendly demands :)) , just came back from India and my guides are now like family :)) believe me ... I do my homework , history , culture, customs and sights. Even learn some few new phrases :))) thanks everyone .

HAve a lovey week .

Edited: 10:44 pm, February 13, 2017
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,629 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Private tour guide for a day in Marrakech

The typical problem with guides is unless you specify what you want to see, such as specific type of market, notable sites of the city etc, you will invariably be drawn into places of the guides choosing. These will be notable landmarks but inevitably you will also be taken into herbalists or shops which are owned by relatives of the guide. This scam is designed such that you will stay in for an hour or so listening to the uses of each and every herbal remedy and the process involved in weaving rugs until you cave in and pay over the going rate for these products.

This is not only a waste of your money as you could have got the items far cheaper had you shopped around on your own but is also a waste of your time as you haven't been given the service you expected.

Whoever you choose, make sure at the outset that you do NOT want to be taken into any shops, herbalist, carpet sellers etc. It happens to all of us at some time or another but if you can avoid it then do so.

I too no longer use guides but do go on organised tours as this is more convenient and less expensive but avoid going into the shops mentioned.

I am more or less familiar with Marrakech but not so with the surrounding areas which is why I go on the occasional day trip.

I have heard of Four Season Travel and if it is the same one, it had some link up with Sunway Travel (unless I am grossly incorrect) which is an Irish based company operating in various cities in Morocco; I haven't had any problems with them so far.

Maps of Marrakech available upon request by private message, just supply your email.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
7,007 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Private tour guide for a day in Marrakech

I assume Apocalipse is talking about the Four Seasons hotel rather than a travel agency?

You dont need to worry about any guide recommended by the Four Seasons, they will be certified and are sure to speak proper English but of course you are paying a higher price than usual for the guide since its a high end hotel.

A guide can be useful for your first day just to get your bearings - try to get him to take you to the more difficult to find places like Medersa Ben Youssef

SEATTLE
Level Contributor
239 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Private tour guide for a day in Marrakech

thanks john9159

I meant The Four Seasons Hotel :))) they are taking over.... :) I will supply a list with my interest for specific sights and also will let them know about staying away from the stores unless requested.

Nibrika the cost is not bad @ all 900 mad for the full day, excluding transportation and sights entrance fees , if anyone has any suggestion on what should I see , besides the Mosque, Souks, Medina, Palaces and the Toms the Square etc... let me know. I'm high on photography.

Thanks Everyone again

SEATTLE
Level Contributor
239 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Private tour guide for a day in Marrakech

I will see with my main tour the the Saadian Tombs, Ben Yousef Madrasa and the Majorelle Gardens.

Reply to: Private tour guide for a day in Marrakech
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted