We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clothing

England
Level Contributor
192 posts
151 reviews
Save Topic
Clothing

Hi.

I'm a 23 year old female travelling to Marrakech next week. What do I pack?! How warm/ cold? How dressy? Are vest tops acceptable? Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Marrakech
Marrakech
Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz Region, Morocco
Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clothing

Hi - We regularly visit Marrakech/Morroco and this time of year is a bit changable but you will possibly get very hot days and chilly nights, however it can be chilly/wet during the day, its a bit variable really. However clothing should be capable of covering your - eg bust, arms and legs, shorts and short skimpy tops showing your tum are a bit of a no no - unless you want to be, well, basically touched up by every passing arab!! Seriously, the Morrocan women are very covered up and as this is predominately an Islamic country you should take this into account. Basically I always dress in long linen trousers, vest top and linen shirt as a jacket, then when we are somewhere where the visitors are predominately European (such as the top fo the Hotel de France - a must for a stop during the day, the views are second to none) - I can take off my shirt and grab a few 'rays' If you are going to a beach area, take a full swim-suit not a bikini and also a sarong and/or top to cover yourself off the beach. Be very careful in the Medina and take this covering up very seriously there - in the Guilez it is not so important as they are more used to Europeans there. To be honest take lots of layers, a warmish top/coat for the evenings and leave loads of room in your suitcase for some wonderful clothes over there - and enjoy!! If you are staying in a Riad in the Medina the same rules apply - European hotels are much of a muchness and not really Moroccan!!

Mentioned in this post
Marrakech
Marrakech
Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz Region, Morocco
Cafe de France
Cafe de France
2,159 Reviews
Marrakech, Morocco
marrakech
Level Contributor
248 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clothing

well it's certainly warm at the moment, 30 degrees today, although there is rain forecast for later in the week.

Not necessary to cover up,shorts are fine, unless they are very short.One just must remember where you are. It is Morocco, althoug very liberal. Spaghetti straps are fine, but crop tops etc will attract unnecessary attention, as will very short shorts.

a bit of resect in the medina is the order of the day with a cardigan or something light for the evenings!

Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
3. Re: Clothing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:24 am, August 26, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Marrakech