We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What a fantastic riad to stay at

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
london
1 post
Save Topic
What a fantastic riad to stay at

My girlfriend and I have just got back having spent five wonderful nights in the rial el faran. The riad is totally stunning, the owner lives there for most of the year and the other people that work there are so friendly. They are very courteous and will do absolutely anything they can to help you. Everything is fitted around you, for instance our flight wasnt until the evening so when we checked out they allowed us not only to keep our bags there (which is a problem at some riads) but they also insisted that we keep the room until we leave for the airport in the evening. I cannot recommend this enough to anyone that plans to stay in a traditional, convenient and comfortable riad in morocco.

london
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What a fantastic riad to stay at

Hi, glad to hear you had such a nice time.

I'm flying out to Marrakech with my boyfriend on Sunday and have looked at the Riad Elfaran on the net. Can you remember what room you stayed in and was it a normal bedroom or a suite and does it make a difference?

Also, will it be warm enough for a dip in the pool or am I pushing it?!

We're also staying for five nights so any hints about possible intinerary would be wonderful. E.g Don't bother with this but this is a must.

Thanks ;-)

London
Level Contributor
19 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What a fantastic riad to stay at

I have also just come back from 5 night in this riad and have to agree it is lovely. It's finished off really well, all decorations are in keeping with the style and the staff really are fantastic. Jean Claude, the manager when we were there is so helpful and friendly, but only speaks French so it helps if you have a few words too!

We stayed in the Papyrus suite (upgraded due to overbooking) and it was fabulous. The room was big with a nice sitting area and open fire (even though it was 25C during the day, the fire was lit when we arrived), the bathroom was amazing (the 2 of us fit easily in the bath at the same time!) - just watch your head going through the low doorways!

The breakfast was really nice too (especially the eggy bread, oh man!) and you can usually have that up on the roof terrace in the sun which is lovely.

The only reservation I had about this riad was the location, It's north of the souks and a little out of the way of the main tourist area, which generally I prefer. But in this instance we felt that we were hassled a lot more in the area around the riad than anywhere else in the city. I know it's to be expected that you will be 'encouraged' to visit other locations (e.g. the tanneries, shops etc) by interested parties along the way, and local children will 'try it on' and try to lead you through the maze of streets for a quick buck, but the hassles we got in this area were persistant, unwanted and sometimes uncomfortable. That's not to say we felt in danger at all, but the negative attention we got here really did spoil the atmosphere for us.

Having said that, I couldn't fault the actual riad or the service we received there. They will prepare evening meals for you if you want, and are happy to arrange day trips as well. I can highly recommend 'Rocky' as a guide - he took us to the Ourika (sp?) Valley for a day and it was fantastic.

3. Re: What a fantastic riad to stay at

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, August 25, 2009