We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

suitable for young children

1 post
1 review
Save Topic
suitable for young children

Myself and my husband are planning a weekend to Marrakech, were hoping to take our children who will be 4.5 and 9 at the time of travel. Has anyone undertaken a similar trip, will it be suitable for them?

Level Contributor
248 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: suitable for young children

hi, I think a weekend with children of that age will be the perfect length of time, any longer and they might begin to get a bit bored (snake charmers etc have a limited charm!)

If you stay in the medina, you can dip in and out of the souks, and always get back to your riad if they get tired, rather than having to rely on taxis and long journeys.

There is a wonderful waterpark (Oasiria) which is beautifully kept, with lots of life guards etc, and slides, wave pools, etc different areas suitable for different age groups. It is really clean and inexpensive compared to Europe, but, it does not get incredibly busy as it is regarded as expensive by Moroccan standards. It is shut (seasonally) from October until 31st March, but it would be well worth considering with children of that age.

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: suitable for young children

We were in Marrakech for a long weekend in January. We had four children from 5 months to 5 years - it was great. My 5 year old loved every second, especially the food. It was a great experience, the people out there were really friendly - one occasion a little too friendly with one child! but this was a one off. As long as they don't mind walking they will be fine. Ours loved the caleche ride, we also did the open bus tour which I would recommend, particularly the out of town tour so you can see the camels. We stayed in Riad Dar al Kounouz. They couldn't have been friendlier, we ate our meals in, they did the children a meal earlier so we could enjoy ours in peace!

Have fun!

Level Contributor
108 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: suitable for young children

You should not hesitate to take your children to Marrakech. They will value the experience and children are welcomed. Notwithstanding this, it may be worth describing some areas where we had some problems -

If you have a daughter, avoid the small park area by where the caleche carriages park. We spotted a number of elderley gentlemen taking photos of our 6 y/o with their mobile phones. This may have been innocent, but it felt creepy.

The women tempting you to have a henna tatoo can be a bit of a menace. My daughter was not interested and became very agitated, but the lady would not accept this and even attempted to do it anyway.

Obtain small change - 5/10 Dirhams - because if you want to watch the performers on the square, you will be expected to make a contribution. We had no small change on the first day and it was a bit awkward.

My son made the mistake of wearing his Argentina and Liverpool football shirts (no jokes please!), which attracted a lot of attention and he found this rather intimidating at times.

On the positive side - they liked watching all the action on the square from the terrace of the Argana Hotel, they enjoyed looking at the storks nesting in the Badia, they loved the caleche ride (at 150 Dirhams (less than £10) for an hour seemed good value), the day trip to Ourika (touristy but fun) was enjoyed, particularly the mild scramble up to the first cascade and although it can be quite exhausting for them, the souks are a good place for them to buy an inexpensive souvenier.

4. Re: suitable for young children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 am, August 22, 2009