We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arabic language - will I be understood?

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
276 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Arabic language - will I be understood?

Hi

I don't speak French at all (please, thank you, hello & goodbye are about all I can manage!) but I know some basic standard Arabic phrases & can read & wrtite it a bit.

I have noticed phrase books for Morocan Arabic for sale.How different is the Morocan Arabic & would I be understood if I used my basic standard Arabic language skills?

Do Morocans appreciate tourists attempting to speak their language or do they make fun of them?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Kind regards

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
Level Contributor
4,159 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arabic language - will I be understood?

Moroccan Arabic is to a certain extent different from classical Arabic. But not to worry people will understand and appreciate the effortb you make to converse in their language. marrakech is comopolitan so you'll get by with English

cheers

Gibraltar
Level Contributor
87 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Arabic language - will I be understood?

Mickeygem, if you arrive in Morocco at Marrakech , you'll be wishing that you spoke a language Moroccans can't speak. No worries, they will deeply appreciate your effort.

England
Level Contributor
46 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arabic language - will I be understood?

However, they are so friendly and will want a deeper conversation and you will lapse into your basic French, very bad Spanish, etc. Yes they did appreciate my trying. In Marrakech & Fes there were times when I found it difficult as I don't speak French at all, but they made an effort to understand what I was trying to say whether in English or Arabic. You can pick up a handful of Morocan Arabic phrases online, making sure that you know the essential ones : coffee with milk, where is the washrooom, I want...

have fun!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
276 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arabic language - will I be understood?

Thanks for your comments everone - I'm looking forward to the challenge!

Kind regards

5. Re: Arabic language - will I be understood?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 am, August 21, 2009