We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fez to marrakesh

Which Fes hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
55 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Fez to marrakesh

2 Women heading to Fez then Marrakesh for a week in February. No car. Interested in history and architecture and food. I thought 3 nites in each city What would you suggest and how do we make the journey between the two ? Can we book a train in advance?Thank you in advance for your help

Level Contributor
1,104 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Fez to marrakesh

You can book trains 6 days before departure, but only in Morocco. You can not reserve tickets from abroad.

With one week, I would not lose 8 hours traveling between Fes and Marrakech. Focus on one and do daytrips from either.

Fez, Morocco
Level Contributor
81 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Fez to marrakesh

That's a good plan, but you might want to consider staying in one place longer and do day trips from there, since you'd lose a day going from Fez to Marrakesh. If you want to go to both cities, I'd take the train. You can book at train in advance, but normally it's fine to show up at the station 30 minutes before. Better to get a first class ticket, since the place is reserved and there are only six in the cabin. Here's the train schedule:

http://www.oncf.ma/scripts/horaires1.asp

London
Level Contributor
55 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fez to marrakesh

I thought a sleeper train would max the time we have. or would this be a bad idea? Would it be possible without sharing with strangers? Thank you for your help with this

Level Contributor
1,104 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Fez to marrakesh

There is no sleeper train from Fes to Marrakech.

There are sleepers available on the train from Oujda via Fes to Casablanca. But at just 4 hours travel time between Fes and Casablanca, a sleeper would make no sense. Plus, you'd have to change in Casablanca.

Then there's a late direct train from Fes to Marrakech. It leaves Fes at 1.50 AM, and it does not have sleeping accommodation, just seats.

London
Level Contributor
55 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fez to marrakesh

Sorry to be a pest but I have found a cheap hotel very close to the medina in Fez would that area be a good spot for exploring the city? I like to see as much as I can on foot or could you reccomend a more central location for visiting the historical buildings etc. Also a a beer in the evening would be on my todo list. Thank you for your kind assistance so far

Level Contributor
1,104 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Fez to marrakesh

Close to the medina is fine, post the name of the hotel and I'm sure Fassia will be able to tell you exactly where it is in respect to the sightseeing highlights.

Alcohol is consumed indoors in Morocco, by the way. You can't drink it in public view.

London
Level Contributor
55 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fez to marrakesh

Hotel Batha, Batha Palace or Dar Seffarine both look fine. Thank you for the advice so far will probably bother you somemore b4 I'm done fretting

Vientiane, Laos
Level Contributor
708 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fez to marrakesh

Hotel Batha is right on the edge of the medina, which means that it is easily accessed by car/taxi. Its a perfectly fine budget hotel, clean and comfortable with a decent bar (by Fes standards...which are pretty low).

Dar Seffarine is gorgeous, right in the heart of the medina (so harder to access than the Batha). They are very popular, so book well in advance!

London
Level Contributor
55 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fez to marrakesh

Thank you so much for all your help. I have booked the flights and the Dar Seffarine will let you know how I get on I would not have known where to start without your help

SF
Level Contributor
88 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fez to marrakesh

We just returned froma 12 day trip. i would very strongly suggest renting a car. The scenery in the country is spectacular and well worth the price.

We did Fes, Merzouga, Skoura, taroudant and marrakesh in this time. lots to do along the way in short stops.

Our driver was great and went out of his way to show us the local sites and soukes in the smaller towns.

We also had a guide book, (DK) and planned our trip with hime every morning.