We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transpsortation Fes to Erfoud/Merzouga

Arlington
6 posts
Save Topic
Transpsortation Fes to Erfoud/Merzouga

Has anyone taken a Grands taxi from Fes to Erfound/Merzouga? Is this easily arranged? Should it be arranged ahead of time or on day of travel. Where are Grands taxis located for this type of journey?

Alternatively, is the Suprabus the better option?

Tisovec, Slovakia
Level Contributor
57 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transpsortation Fes to Erfoud/Merzouga

There are Suprabuses for this connection, and it takes about 6 hours, with a stop. I would go for a taxi, but that is only because I need to use a bathroom a lot :-). If this is not your case, bus is a better option as much of the journey there is not a lot that you can stop for to enjoy - maybe only the makak monkeys around Azrou. But then its just a boring road around Middelt and it gets better later on, when you enter the canyon of Ziz river. So I dont see any need for a taxi really.

Arlington
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Transpsortation Fes to Erfoud/Merzouga

Thanks for your reply. I think we've decided on a taxi -- mainly because of the schedule of the Suprabus. May change our mind once we get there.

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transpsortation Fes to Erfoud/Merzouga

It take not 6 hours but 11 hours from Fes to Merzouga, the same is by car and even with shared taxi it is not going much faster. Traveling is going slowly and you can not drive fast.

Edited: 9:33 am, March 13, 2013
Tisovec, Slovakia
Level Contributor
57 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transpsortation Fes to Erfoud/Merzouga

Khamlia - is it really that slow? I remember it being less, but it was a long time ago I took it ... I know with a hired microbus we are in Merzouga before sunset and we leave not too early in the morning, but we stop plenty on the way ...

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transpsortation Fes to Erfoud/Merzouga

By bus it takes 11 hours and by car about 8-10 hours depend of how many stop you do. If you have gone with some organized tour so they are running for the life LOL so it is possible you did that travel in 6 hours. Lucky you are a life after such trip :)

Besana in Brianza...
Level Contributor
28 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transpsortation Fes to Erfoud/Merzouga

Last april I took the Supratour in Merzouga al 19.30 and I arrive at Fes station at 3.30 in the morning (just one stop during the trip).

Taxi it's little quicker, but it may have sense only your timetable doesn't match the Supratour timetable or if you want to make more stops (for example Ifrane,Rissani, Kit'n Ticka, whatsoever). On my way to Merzouga I took the taxi because my plane arrive to late for the Supratour - just one in a day with Merzouga destination.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
660 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transpsortation Fes to Erfoud/Merzouga

Are you aware of how Grand Taxis work in Morocco? They have set routes where they fill up with passengers (usually 6, with 4 in the back and 2 on the front passenger seat) from their meeting point and they charge per seat. So if you want some breathing space you pay for an extra space…..for example you pay double fair to have the front seat to yourself. They will not leave until all seats are paid for.

They are licenced only to ply specific areas and usually do a particular rout from specific meeting points (like a bus), so if you want to go down to the dunes you either hop from hub to hub (usually in towns and cities) using a few taxis or you negotiate with one in Fes to drive all the way. This will cost you. You will be charged for all the seats, the overnight stay for the driver (if needed) and his fuel costs going back to his home town as he isn’t licenced to pick fairs up out of his licenced area. This will be a tough negotiation (as to be expected in Morocco) and you will need to bargain hard to get a reasonable price. This cannot be done ahead of time as they just hang out on the street unless you have the name of a driver and his number.

Often hiring a tourist car with driver is easier and more comfortable as the cars will be more modern than the 1970’s Mercs the taxi drivers have (they can be shabby to say the least….death traps at worst!). But of course tourist cars with drivers can also be extremely expensive compared to a single seat in a shared taxi.

The bus is by far the best option as it’s cheap and convenient and there’s no getting ripped off, though saying that, I usually hire a car and drive myself as it allows you to be your own boss and do what you want……no waiting, no bartering, no getting tickets......

B.C. canada
Level Contributor
78 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transpsortation Fes to Erfoud/Merzouga

Does the cmt run from fez to merzouga? I am looking into same options. Only supra tours is at night. Get in 8 am

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transpsortation Fes to Erfoud/Merzouga

CTM run from Fes to only Rissani, then you have to take a taxi to Merzouga.

But Supratour run the whole way untill Merzouga.

Both are overnight buses.

10. Re: Transpsortation Fes to Erfoud/Merzouga

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, February 20, 2015