We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying carpets in Fez

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Buying carpets in Fez

What are the best places to buy rugs /carpets in Fes? We will also be in Marrakesh, and can purchase them there. Does anybody know what to look for when buying rugs, and how to determine prices?

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,721 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying carpets in Fez

Recipe for disaster if you are not careful.

If you really don't know what to look for when buying rugs, then you will be at the mercy of the sellers. I suggest you study this subject before you go. There's probably somewhere in NY that sells Moroccan rugs, have a look at the prices there and you might find the initial asking prices for similar rugs in Morocco is higher than NY!!

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying carpets in Fez

This is a minefield as the value (and hence price) is affected by so many factors including the buyer's skill at bartering. Other factors include machine or hand made (ie do they come from a village cooperative or from a factory in Casablanca), natural or chemical dyes, knots per inch, designs and motifs (Berber or Arab), finishings and so on. As Tim suggests a lot of research may save you from any potential grief!

Edited: 6:56 am, February 22, 2013
New York,USA
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying carpets in Fez

susang4835

This January we were in Morocco for 6 days,traveled from Casablanca to Fes(2 nights) then from there to Marrakech(3 nights). On our way from Fes to Marrakech we bought 2 good Berber rugs or what they call Kelims from a Berber village named Azrou. The prices were very cheap compared to what some ,merchants asked for in the Medina of Fes. So I'd suggest to go there as it was an hour of driving I think .

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,721 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying carpets in Fez

More like a couple of hours, but yes, Azrou is well worth a visit, preferably overnight staying at the Hotel Panorama.

You can also visit the wild apes, see tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g616013-c145720/Azr…

Fes, Morocco
Level Contributor
35 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying carpets in Fez

Here is the link to the photo essay on buying carpets in Fez. We have been buying for many years and have found Coin Berbere to be the most honest and best priced... but there are hundreds of places to buy. Beware going in to a shop with a guide (+40% commission)... and keep an eye on the exchange rate.

See here: …blogspot.com.au/p/beginners-guide-to-morocc…

Casablanca
Level Contributor
884 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying carpets in Fez

Fes would be the best place to get all the pure staff you'd like to buy in Morocco regarding the Carpets, Leader and Ceramics.

Just read a little bit more before you buy anything.

Have fun and enjoy your experience.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying carpets in Fez

I bargained the cost of a carpet from $AU2,700 to $AU1,700 which is almost 40% less than original price.

However, I was told that that would be converted into EU1,500 but I had the latest exchange rates which calculated at EU1,200 (25% less)

So beware that you dont lose the benefits of your hard bargaining to an exchange rate rip-off.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buying carpets in Fez

Please do make sure that they will wrap up the actual carpet which you bargained for! Surprises have happened, to me and also to a friend of mine, one was in Marrakech the other one in a small village.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,595 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buying carpets in Fez

Hi,

re; post number 7, never discuss the price in anything but Dirhams. Converting from Dollars to Euros when the vendor works in Dirhams makes for a very confusing discussion.

Medford, Oregon
Level Contributor
763 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Buying carpets in Fez

We bought 5 rugs when we were in Morocco in Marrakech, Fez and Merzouga. My husband grew up around rugs so was familiar with quality etc. If you are not comfortable with bartering for things then I suggest you start by bartering for smaller items in the medinas just to build up your skill and confidence. Several of the merchants we bought from had me sign my name on the back with a sharpie so I was certain it was the rug I had picked that was shipped to me. Also, don't be afraid to ask for the shipping incl as part of the negotiations. We had no problem with any of the rugs we bought, and the first two we bought in Marrakech at the beginning of the trip arrived home before we did!!

I kept some of the business cards from the places we purchased rugs. Here is the info. I have:

Marrakech - Chateau des Souks 44,Souk Semmarine

Bazar El Wafa - 2 Marche Milouda-Sidi Ishak; did not buy rugs here but other silver, ceramic items

Merzouga - Le Grand depot de Merzouga

www.FromHomeToRoam.com