We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for a few days pre-tour

Which Casablanca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
5 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for a few days pre-tour

Hello.

My husband and I are arriving in Casablance a few days prior to a 9 day Morocco tour. We would love to spend those days laying around somewhere outside the city getting acclimated to the time zone and weather as well as getting to know the people and culture. We could even take a quick flight somewhere, although it may defeat the purpose of getting acclimated. We do not need a ton of things to do, but a bit of history is always good. We are covering most of the tourist cities in the tour. Any thoughts? Thank you in advance.

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,681 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for a few days pre-tour

Does your tour take in El Jadida on the Atlantic coast. it is quite easy to get there on the train from Casablanca. It does attract tourists but, from my observations on an all too brief visit, it also seems a much more 'locals' town. The old Portugese walled area is worth taking a bit of time w.alking around - in fact given the opportunity to go back I would chose to stay there for a few nights.

This link will take you to the El Jadida forum:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g298348-i11301-E…

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,121 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for a few days pre-tour

Hi,

You are on a 9 day tour, "covering most of the tourist cities"; it sounds like you are "doing" Morocco? You may as well spend the first few days in Casablanca as it looks like you will be on the road for most of the rest of your visit. Hope you enjoy it.

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,681 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for a few days pre-tour

As a matter of interest, and possibly as an aid to others to make alternative suggestions for your pre-tour, which places are covered In your actual tour?

Going back to my El Jadida suggestion...this is what I wrote on my return which may (or may not) be of interest.:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g298348-i11301-k…

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
5 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for a few days pre-tour

Thanks so much for the replies. I apologize for my lack of detail, I was afraid if the post was too long no one would read it.

A quick note about me: I travel a ton for work, over 150,000 miles a year, but rarely go just for vacation to someplace I have never been. Morocco was actually on my list of places I wanted to go in a first grade report, and at age 50 I have finally decided to do it. Thank you for the advice.

the trip includes a private tour with stays in Casablanca, then Rabat. next stop in Meknes, Moulay Idriss, and Volubilis, stay in Fes. Day three Midelt, Erfoud overnight in Merzouga. Day 4 Merzouga to Tinghir and Ouarzazate. Next is Ouarzazate, Ait Ben Haddou, and Marrakech (2 days).From there a return to Casablanca.

Because it is a private tour I am able to nudge things around a little. we have more time than this though, and when I travel for work I prefer to have a few days before hand to acclimate (typically the weekend before work) and see some local areas. I dislike cities beyond museums and historical sights, so most often I hire a local guide for the day and say "get me out of here and take me to where the people live". it is important to me to eat the real local food, meet the real local people and get a feeling for the culture. I am extremely respectful of cultual difference, and have a cast iron stomach (I eat from the train stations in India no prob, and China has yet to cause me to balk).

I just feel like we are doing a lot, but we might not see the real Morocco.So please, if you have any ideas or would like to suggest tweaking the schedule, please offer them, I am open. I just really want to BE in Morocco.

Thanks again.

Allie

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,681 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for a few days pre-tour

I'm no expert on where to go and get the experience you really desire but I do think you really do need to get out of Casablanca as quick as possible. However, you do need to visit the Hassan II Mosque at some point while you are there.

Good luck with your trip. I'm sure your long awaited visit to Morocco won't disappoint you.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
5 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for a few days pre-tour

I really do appreciate the suggestion so far, El Jadida might be just the ticket. It looks relaxing. Thanks.

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,681 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for a few days pre-tour

I certainly found it relaxing enough and ...as you seem to enjoy local foods...I think you will probably get some good fish to eat there. I noticed a large old building on the coast approach to the Portugese area where there were some simple tables inside and fish being grilled outside. Sadly I didn't get chance to return but if I was looking for fresh and local that is where I'd be heading next time.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,121 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions for a few days pre-tour

Yes El Jadida seems a good spot to spend a couple of days if you want to get off the usual tourist trail before your tour. It is a popular weekend destination for locals from Marrakech and Casablanca who head to the beach there in the summer, foreign tourists are only just starting to discover it.

Nearby Azemmour is worth a quick visit as well - it has a picturesque Medina perched right on the river.

Although the info is a bit out of date, Looklex always has some basic info on the lesser visited spots in Morocco: http://looklex.com/morocco/jadida.htm

9. Re: Suggestions for a few days pre-tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, April 03, 2015