We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fake police officer imposing fines at Hassan II mosque

Sofia, Bulgaria
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Fake police officer imposing fines at Hassan II mosque

Today, right in front of Hassan II mosque, we were approached by a man in plain clothes who, speaking only in French, was seemingly trying to make us believe that taking photos is prohibited and that a security camera has captured me taking photos. He grabbed me by the hand and tried to drag me in some direction, repeatedly saying "polis, polis". I was confident he was fake and took his hand off me and told him to go away. He grabbed me again and I had to take his hand off again. Then he proceeded to make a telephone call, while still trying to make us feel arrested, probably hoping to get some money from us. We just walked away and finally be let us go... Later I told the man in the ticket office about this and he just said photos are allowed everywhere.

Anyone else with similar experience?

11 replies to this topic
Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
7,108 posts
128 reviews
1. Re: Fake police officer imposing fines at Hassan II mosque

wow thats a new scam, never heard anything like that before!

well done for standing your ground and ignoring him

Sofia, Bulgaria
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
2. Re: Fake police officer imposing fines at Hassan II mosque

Forgot to mention that he had a black plastic whistle he used when he first approached us, and he even pointed at the whistle while talking to us, probably trying to demonstrate some authority by having it.

Be careful. We are a young couple, but I guess everyone could be a target.

Level Contributor
1,410 posts
31 reviews
3. Re: Fake police officer imposing fines at Hassan II mosque

Its so annoying that people can disturb and violate travellers executing their holiday adventures.

I had several very bad experiences in Agadir ten years ago and I said I would never return.

We must never be intimidated by these people. We must also stress that Morocco is quite a safe place

I truly feel for you and simultaneously salute you

Edited: 12:40 pm, November 23, 2017
Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
12,167 posts
67 reviews
4. Re: Fake police officer imposing fines at Hassan II mosque

If this even happens take a photograph of the person and report them to the tourist police.

North Ayrshire...
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
53 reviews
5. Re: Fake police officer imposing fines at Hassan II mosque

That is a daft suggestion TC.....the phony cop is obviously a seasoned criminal and would probably react by trying to snatch the camera and damage it to avoid recognition and detection, and if resisted could resort to violence in panic mode, pointing a camera at the wrong type of person in Morocco can provoke extreme reactions, I write from long personal experience.

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
104 reviews
6. Re: Fake police officer imposing fines at Hassan II mosque

You should have reported him even he has been a real police man he should not do that as you are from differebt country trying to enjoy your travels like everyone else does. And photos are not prohibited. So that man should been filmed by the mosque camera.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
12,167 posts
67 reviews
7. Re: Fake police officer imposing fines at Hassan II mosque

@kaptain: You write from long personal experience of being afraid in Morocco and taking surreptitious photos of people without permission with a spy camera!

Take control of your destiny and confront wrongdoers. The reality is that the guy would quickly disappear. Failing to report villains just means they prey on other naïve visitors.

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,286 posts
49 reviews
8. Re: Fake police officer imposing fines at Hassan II mosque

If this happened as described, the scammer is displaying more stupidly than the potential return he might get. Morocco is not the kind of place you want to be caught impersonating the police / security forces ...

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
10,061 posts
67 reviews
9. Re: Fake police officer imposing fines at Hassan II mosque

“Obviously a seasoned criminal” who would “probably react”. Follow Tim’s advice, the guy sounds more like a chancer to me.

Level Contributor
61 posts
10. Re: Fake police officer imposing fines at Hassan II mosque

I have never heard that. You should file a formal complaint at any police station if you are still in Morocco. This was a scammer I think.

Reply to: Fake police officer imposing fines at Hassan II mosque
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted