We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

money exchange agadir, Morocco

Which Agadir hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
money exchange agadir, Morocco

Going to Agadir in a few days and just discovered it's a closed economy, what's the best way to exchange, sterling?, travellers cheques or atm's in the hotel?

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,708 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: money exchange agadir, Morocco

Look to your right... under top questions... "How do I get Moroccan currency."

Travellers cheques died a death decades ago. Use ATMs in the town streets. Have a small backup of sterling in case of difficulty.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,296 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: money exchange agadir, Morocco

Sound advice as usual from Tim.

Read all the article very carefully and DO take note that you should notify your bank of your intention to use ATM's, debit cards, credtit cards.

I get notifications from my credit card issuer MBNA who remind me from time to time that I should notify them just prior to travelling abroad.

Manchester, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: money exchange agadir, Morocco

Thank you

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Agadir
Level Contributor
2,188 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: money exchange agadir, Morocco

Janet,

Forget Travellers cheques. Cash and bank cards only.

CASH:

Sterling notes is easy to exchange at many bureau of changes. There are two at Massira airport, and many more in Agadir town itself. Please ensure that notes are not tatty or well worn. Also, it is advisable to change little at a time. £20 goes along way in Agadir if you know how to look out for bargian or have haggling skills.

Currently the rate is £1 = about 13.50 Dirhams

BANK CARDS:

Both debit and credit carda are widely acceptable. You didn't mention which hotel you will straying at, but most hotel do have ATM. There also several other ATM in town centre. REMEMBER TO INFOM YOUR BANK IN THE UK BEFORE YOU LEAVE THAT YOU ARE LIKELY TO USE YOUR BANK CARDS IN AGADIR AND GIVE THEM THE DATES!!!!

ANY LEFT-OVER DIRHAMS

At the end of your hoilday, it is possible to change any leftover dirhams back to the sterling at the airport.

Personally I always leave any loose local coins to the chambermaid or some hotel staff.

Have a great time

Cas

Manchester, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: money exchange agadir, Morocco

Tim, have just discovered vodafone dont do 'passport' in Morocco so calls are really expensive, do you know of any possible options? Are phone boxes available there?

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,296 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: money exchange agadir, Morocco

The tele boutiques are the cheapest option and very inexpensive too to call abroad. There is a wealth of information on buying SIM cards over here, just do a search through the search box above the forum posts.

Manchester, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: money exchange agadir, Morocco

John, thanks for that, I have put search in but might be using the wrong search words cos not a lot came up, but have the info I need now, will go to the teleboutiques

London, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: money exchange agadir, Morocco

Just don't expect to use American Express cards - I tried to use mine to get double points. Found none.

colchester
Level Contributor
1,465 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: money exchange agadir, Morocco

Also - beware using pre-paid GBP cards if your hotel requires you to "swipe a card in case of charges".

Whilst this is not an issue with normal debit/credit cards, with pre paid cards it can lead to some of your balance being "ring-fenced" incase it is needed to settle a bill at the hotel. Therefore you cannot use it to purchase stuff or get cash from the ATMs, until the hotel releases the fence.

This will cause you issues, especially if you have no intention of running up a bill at your hotel.

In all the fluster of getting check in, it may not be clearly explained.

Northamptonshire...
Level Contributor
13 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: money exchange agadir, Morocco

We found the best exchange rate at the airport. Not in the baggage hall but as you make your way out towards the exit we got just under 13 to the pound.