We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unmarried Couples

London, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Unmarried Couples

Hi! I'm going back to Agadir again to visit my partner. This time I am staying in a hotel with other female friends, but also have my own room. My partner is a male Moroccan and I'm British. Will there be a problem if other Moroccans see us in public, knowing we are not yet married? Will he be able to enter my room, or will the hotel forbid it?

Grateful for any responses or experiences! Thanks! :)

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
6,124 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Unmarried Couples

no problem with being in public together, however he will not be allowed in your hotel room

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
10,253 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Unmarried Couples

The hotel might even be funny about him sitting with you in the lobby area.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
42 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Unmarried Couples

My boyfriend and I traveled through Marrakech, the Dades Valley, Merzouga, Ourzazate, and Essouaria this past May. We were welcomed by every riad and hotel we stayed at. No one raised an eyebrow or asked any questions. We asked our guide the same question you did prior to booking our trip. He assured us that Moroccans are very tolerant of all people and are especially welcoming to Western tourists. We had no trouble anywhere. However we did not bring up the subject anywhere either. I don't suggest you flaunt it or go up to the desk and say, "Hi. We're not married. Will you rent us a room?" You might be pushing it. Try to adopt a "Don't ask, Don't tell" attitude and I think you will be fine.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
10,253 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Unmarried Couples

And your boyfriend is Moroccan, ChefKaren?

You need to be aware that it is against the law for a Moroccan to share a hotel room with a partner of the opposite sex if they are not married.

5. Re: Unmarried Couples

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 9:19 am, October 28, 2013
Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
159 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Unmarried Couples

Yes it's illegal to sleep together don't try to ignore the rule, because it can cause problems with Police and so many stories could happen there.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Agadir
Level Contributor
2,201 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Unmarried Couples

I am a single male and regular to Morocco and stayed in various hotels. None of them have ever allowed me to bring to local females to my room even when i offered a "back handers" for staff to turn the blind eye.

As fas as I ever got was to invite them to hotel bars for a drink and NOTHING ELSE.

Cheers

Cas

8. Re: Unmarried Couples

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 9:15 am, October 28, 2013
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Agadir
Level Contributor
2,201 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Unmarried Couples

No harm in that John!!! As a long they are consenting adult females of sound mind.

Cheers mate

Cas

Nth Wales
Level Contributor
878 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Unmarried Couples

Take the advice from Moroccans and those who have replied who know the very definite cultural 'rules' which I guess your man really knows too .