We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will a woman on her own feel comfortable in Agadir?

Which Agadir hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Will a woman on her own feel comfortable in Agadir?

I am trying to find a few days sunshine but will be travelling alone. I have been looking at Morocco as it will be hotter but I visited Marakesh and didn't feel overly safe. Has anyone experienced the hotels in Agadir on their own? I was thinking about a spa experience. Don't mind splashing a little cash.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,208 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will a woman on her own feel comfortable in Agadir?

Hi,

Type single woman into the search box above your post for loads of previously posted advice and opinions.

Edited: 6:31 pm, February 18, 2012
Agadir, Morocco
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Will a woman on her own feel comfortable in Agadir?

hello Tilly2shoes ,

i can say welcome to your second country , Agadir is safe for a familly and also a single woman too , you can walking alone safly

Iceland
Level Contributor
819 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will a woman on her own feel comfortable in Agadir?

I was alone in Agadir in Dec. Perfectly safe in daytime. I made a trip to Taradount with the local Grand taxi and it was fun. No problem eating out or shopping. Hotel was fine.

Evenings were somehow lonely. Walked on the beach and got harrased by some teenagers (could be my grandsons). Anyway there is always a policeman nearby. They patrol the beach and tourist streets all time.

So, get yourself a book and go

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,328 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will a woman on her own feel comfortable in Agadir?

Whilst it is safe you need to be aware that not only teenagers will accost you but also older men. Thet may just be flirting but if you are not interested then do not stop to engage in conversation.

Same goes for traders who can be very persistent, usually saying that you should go into their shop to "just look around". If only it were this simple as once you are in you will be glad to hand over your hard earned cash for some tat just to get out of the place. My advice is be hard with them and if you don't intend to buy anything then don't stop to chat with them.

Many single ladies have asked your question and the overwhelming response is that you will be safe at all times and do not be intimidated by wolf whistles or lurid remarks.

Try reading backwards for older posts, you will soon find something appropriate.

colchester
Level Contributor
1,465 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Will a woman on her own feel comfortable in Agadir?

I've never found Agadir to be intimidating, whether in company or out alone.

That said, I found Marrakech even more laid back when I visited there for the first time last month - however a couple of UK ladies expressed discomfort at the environment outside the hotel. So I need to point out that all experiences are relative.

Personally, I feel safer and less intimidated in Morocco, than in Sharm, Ibiza, Majorca and some of the Costas.

Places I find comfortable include Tunisia and South Coast Turkey. Basing on this, you may get an idea as to whether my experiences would be relavant to yourself.

If you are looking for just a spa holiday, then there are some fab hotels in Agadir, and the reviews should help you pick one best suited to your needs. Remember, some of the spas attached to hotels are open to the public as well, so if your choice of spa and hotel do not coincide, this need not be a problem.

Jaycine

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Agadir
Level Contributor
2,200 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Will a woman on her own feel comfortable in Agadir?

Agadir is one the safest holiday spot for any age or any gender. However as a single woman you will get attention for the local casanovas. But do NOT feel intimidated, threatened or scared. Once they know your are not interested they would leave alone.

There are few ladies who visit Agadir solo and I have never hear of any harm come to them.

Obviously you should take care about how you dress when out and about in town. The beach is very safe with regular police patrol, and most of hotesl have their own private manned section on the beach where guests

can sunbathe and realx in complete peace.

Most hotels have spas. There also spas in town. If you find a spa, ask for Argan oil massage. It is reputed to firm up saggy parts of ladies body.

Hope you have a lovely time

Cheers

Cas

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
112 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Will a woman on her own feel comfortable in Agadir?

its really safe , agadir is the most safe city in the south of Morocco , and taroudant too

you can organise a small trip visit to agadir oufella and taroudant

look in tripadvisor about the best activities and read the reviews and choose all what you like

best regards

Anna

lisbon
Level Contributor
279 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Will a woman on her own feel comfortable in Agadir?

As far as I know, openly flirting is not well regarded by the conservative muslims of Morocco. It's quite different from some areas of southern Europe. Quite different as well from the comparatively more liberal Turkey.

I was only in Moroco once, but there I met women travelling who said they had no problems at all. One group of 3 Germans, 2 girls and one boy, told me they were all over the country and even took a wrong bus who took them to uknown places. They were not threatened a single time. It seems that if a guy tries to make advances, the locals around feel shocked with that, so the idea of casanovas flirting while dressing berber costums is likely to be more imagination than reality, maybe with some wishful thinking by some.

What you should worry about is indeed the persistent sellers, thieves, some beggars as well as some resented people who may not be happy to see "rich westerners" while they earn such meagre wages. Anyway there's a lot of police in Agadir, extremely active to the point of being a bit intimidating to the locals.

Edited: 7:46 pm, February 25, 2012
9. Re: Will a woman on her own feel comfortable in Agadir?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:40 am, February 26, 2012
10. Re: Will a woman on her own feel comfortable in Agadir?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:05 am, February 29, 2012