We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which hotel to choose??

nottingham, england
Level Contributor
936 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
which hotel to choose??

We are two families with 3 kids 14,11 + 8 planning to go to agadir for oct half term hol. After reading some neg reviews re tummy upsets at the iberostar Founty beach, we are a bit off put as this hotel was our no 1 choice. Now considering either of the Riu hotels, but are priced up about 300 quid more expensive. Is it worth us splashing out extra cash for Riu, or should we risk upset tummies at Founty beach?? Also, which one would be best for kids???

Vientiane, Laos
Level Contributor
708 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which hotel to choose??

Upset tummies are par for the course in Morocco. Most times it has little to do with hygiene standards - it is simply that your intestinal flora are not accustomed to naturally-occuring microbes in the food. After living here four years, I have noticed that I can eat from the same dish as friends who are visiting and have no trouble, while they get mildly grumbly tummies and perhaps a little diarrhoea.

Point being, if your sole concern about a particular hotel is the possibility of gastro-intestinal issues, know that more likely than not, you'll experience the same elsewhere. Immodium and other mild remedies are readily available at pharmacies (and are significantly cheaper here than in Britain). Likewise, many hotels and cafes serve verbena tea ("louisa" in Moroccan Arabic), which is very good at settling and soothing indigestion.

Good luck and enjoy your trip!

9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: which hotel to choose??

Hi - we travelled to the Founty Beach in April 2005 and had a fantastic time. None of our party (myself, my husband and our 7 year old) had any tummy trouble at all. We had read all kinds of reports and were also very concerned before we travelled but thankfully we were all ok. Admittedly we did not eat outside the hotel and we were careful about drinking only bottled water. Our daughter absolutely loved the hotel - the only negative comments we would make are these... Firstly the two main swimming pools are VERY deep - even my 6ft 3 husband could barely touch the bottom of one - we invested in a lifevest for our daughter so that she could dip in and out of the pools without us constantly by her side. Secondly we found that, despite the best efforts of all the staff, the language barrier was sometimes a problem - particularly in the kids clubs - they really tried but our daughter often had trouble understanding their attempts! All in all though a great holiday - hotel is fantastic and very clean. If you leave a small tip for the maid she will leave you fantastic rose petal patterns on your pillows each day.

Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travelers like you.
Join TripAdvisor