We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I Need to Make Reservations

Seattle, USA
Level Contributor
274 posts
200 reviews
Save Topic
Do I Need to Make Reservations

The Ms and I will be touring Morocco by car between March 15-April 15. Our desire is to make very few advance reservations and instead use cell phones to call about 1-3 days ahead of time to book rooms. Our plans are to make a great tour starting in Fez and going clockwise through the desert and then to the ocean and returning to Marrakech. Is this a risky approach considering that we don't want to get stuck in a dive? Also, how do local cell phones work? Thanks.

Level Contributor
1,104 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I Need to Make Reservations

- Is this a risky approach considering that we don't want to get stuck in a dive?

- The period you will be traveling in is high season in Morocco, because of the Easter holidays in Europe. A lot of accommodation in the middle and higher categories will be fully booked, particularly in cities like Marrakech, Fes and Essaouira.

- how do local cell phones work?

- For information about cell phones, please check this thread:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293734-i9196-k935…

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
1,464 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I Need to Make Reservations

I doubt you will have trouble finding rooms, you just might not find them in the quality level you are looking for. Marrakech and Essaouira will be a challenge during that period due to European holiday traffic.

Local cell phones are easy to operate. Just insert the pre-paid SIM card and off you go. If you are planning to use your own cell phone make sure you check with your provider to make sure that it will allow you to use a foreign SIM card. Not all cell phones accept SIM cards from other providers.

3. Re: Do I Need to Make Reservations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 pm, August 18, 2009