We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gifts for Children

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
35 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Gifts for Children

Hi everyone

We will be visiting Marrakesh next year and I was hoping for some advice regarding bringing gifts for the local children. When we were in Egypt we took pens and pencils, sweets etc and was wondering if this is the sort of thing which would be appreciated in Morocco? Happy to bring other items if no one wants pens!!

Thanks!

Vientiane, Laos
Level Contributor
708 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gifts for Children

The three things children ask from tourists are: a dirham, a bonbon (sweet), or a steelo (pen). If you give them the dirham, they will simply go and buy one of the other two (my bet is on the bonbon). bring pens and sweets - you'll be very popular !

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
1,444 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gifts for Children

Bring pens and pencils and forget the sweets. You'll just be contributing to their bad oral hygiene. When I travel here I regularly buy the multi packs of BIC pens and several boxes of pencils. At least are you are giving them encouragement to go to school. The dirham is definitely NOT a good idea. Fassia is exactly right -- they will go buy the sweets with it and you encourage them to beg. Stay with pens and pencils!!

3. Re: Gifts for Children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 am, August 27, 2009