We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One week on motorbikes

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,389 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
One week on motorbikes

Question asked via PM from hobomillar: "Hope you can help, me and a friend are thinking of a trip to morocco on motorbikes.., but only have a week to play with.. What would be your recommendation as regards to where to get the ferry to? Would you recommend any routes for such a short trip??"

The easiest crossing and normally the cheapest is Algeciras to Tanger Med using Trasmediterranea/Acciona. Check out http://www.aferry.to for prices. Passport control is done on board the ferry, look for a queue and join it. Complete and print out your motorbike temporary import documents before you leave home using the method described at morocco-knowledgebase.net/forum/…

The mistake most people make IMHO is (1) to be over ambitious with distances, (2) travel all their time on main roads, and (3) spend all their time in the cities.

So get the Reise KnowHow map amazon.co.uk/Morocco-Reise-Know-How-Verlag-G… and look for side roads with green (scenic) edging and spend your time in the north of the country visiting places like Chefchaouen, Moulay Idriss, Azrou. You can check out many of the towns at http://looklex.com/morocco/index.htm

When are you travelling, what sort of bikes will you be on, and are you interested in any off-tarmac routes?

1. Re: One week on motorbikes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:41 pm, December 06, 2014
Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,389 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One week on motorbikes

August is likely to be hot, hot, hot. So plan on starting extremely early in the morning to get the benefit of the cooler temperatures, find somewhere to stop by 3pm. Hottest part of the day is 2pm to 6pm. You need need lots of water, preferably in a hydration pack so you can sip as you go along. Take lots of salt with your food.

The temperature will be lower near the Mediterranean coast and in the mountains. You could do a good loop going Tanger Med (port) - Chefchaouen - Al Hoceima - Taza, then south on the R507/R502 to Boulemane - Azrou .

London
Level Contributor
22 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One week on motorbikes

Do you know if there are there any professional tour operators/agencies inside Morocco organising motor-bike tours which include the bike/helmet hire/logstics and accommodation? I have heard of a company called Red Tread - are they still in existence?

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,389 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One week on motorbikes

Red Tread are based in Spain. I remember them running trips in Morocco about six years ago but I believe they now only do tours in Andalucia.

Peter at bikershome.net (info@bikershome.net) in Ouarzazate can sort a great trip including bike, logicstics and accommodation, but I don't know about helmets. Noureddine at Loc2Roues (loc2roues@gmail.com) in Marrakech has helmets and bikes and I've noticed on FB that he seems to be running trips now.

London
Level Contributor
22 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One week on motorbikes

Thanks, Tim. Will check out Bikers Home (has to be a legit company/agency in Morocco). Have e-mailed Red Thread (which I think now is Red Sky or something...but got no response. From research I think the owner had a biking accident and no longer runs the business here.

Edited: 3:52 pm, June 24, 2014
6. Re: One week on motorbikes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, June 26, 2015