We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

G Adventures or Intrepid Adventures

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
135 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
G Adventures or Intrepid Adventures

Was hoping to tour Morocco with a small group that goes somewhat off the beaten path. Both G Adventures and Intrepid seem to be the right thing and prices are not bad, but we are in our 50's and wondered if these companies were too youth oriented and would we feel out of place. Do the Comfort style tours with these companies have an older group?

20 replies to this topic
marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,026 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: G Adventures or Intrepid Adventures

Hi,

There's not much information to be found here from previous users of either company in Morocco. You may get more information by emailing them directly with your question.

Edited: 10:32 am, November 09, 2013
Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,499 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: G Adventures or Intrepid Adventures

It's very much pot luck. I went on an Explore Worldwide trekking tour in South America and the oldest person was an 73-year old Icelander. I did another trek in the Greek Islands and most people were between 30 and probably 55.

london
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: G Adventures or Intrepid Adventures

i have been on 2 intrepid tours this year and the first in vietnam was mostly retired people (or nearing retirement ) - about 3 couples.. and 3 of us who were in our 20s, the second group in cambodia was mostly made of people in their 30s. both of these were the cheaper more basic trips, some of the people i met in these groups then went on other intrepid groups, one through thailand was again made up of mostly retired people according to them so although you can never predict these things... the groups are usually made up of a mix of age ranges.

p.s. i throughly enjoyed both trips and don't think it makes much difference the age of the group... as long as everyone is friendly . the G adventure trip i went on was one they had designated as YOLO (under 35?) after we had booked so one person was over this age so cant really comment on them.

Edited: 4:49 pm, November 09, 2013
St. Louis
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: G Adventures or Intrepid Adventures

Hello,

I have been on several G Adventures trips and am going on my first Intrepid Adventures trip next October. It has been my experience that the average age for most, but not all, of the people on the trips is mid-thirties. However, there were several people in their fifties and one in her seventies. The mix of ages meant that everyone had someone they could "relate" to. I am 40, and found lots of people within 10 years of me that were wonderful people who were not wild, 20-somethings who only care about the nightlife and drinking.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
208 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: G Adventures or Intrepid Adventures

I am going on my first G Adventures tour to Morocco on Dec 25, so can report back (in my late 20s). From my research, they really do get a mix of all ages. I think your assumption that the "comfort" level tours will draw a slightly older crowd is correct as they tend to be more expensive.

Having said that, if you are having trouble choosing between Intrepid and G, I picked G primarily because of what they stand for in their business - connecting travellers to the local way of life as much as possible (through accomodations, transport, etc.). I've heard their owner, Bruce Poon Tip, speak and he was extremely inspiring in all the projects they undertake.

Good luck choosing and have a great time on your trip!

Tampa, Florida
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: G Adventures or Intrepid Adventures

Learn-to-travel: would love to know how your G adventures trip to morocco went this past December. I am thinking of going w/them in September. I travelled w/intrepid before, but not G. How did you like the tour, and which one did you go on? I'm looking at the 8 day one. Thanks!

Tower City, North...
Level Contributor
201 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: G Adventures or Intrepid Adventures

EDIT: I just saw this is old thread

interpid not expensive? for their price per

person you can both make same trip.

i get it when 50+ yo people go with them, but when somebody in their 20s like guy/girl above take it in Viet/Cambodia where you can get visa, hotel,food, activities, tours etc for 2 pax and pay less then interpid ask for 1 pax ...

Morroco is so easy to travel and good connected + transport is very cheap.

Edited: 10:09 am, August 01, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
208 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: G Adventures or Intrepid Adventures

The trip with G was fantastic. It was fast paced with not a lot of downtime, but that was clear from the beginning (as it covered a lot of ground in 9 days). The accommodation was great, and activities for the most part too. I met some fantastic, like minded people from all over that made it one of the best tours I've been on.

There a few things I would say could be improved. For example, some "local" business felt quite touristy with other tour groups coming through, and some of us felt like we were being taken advantage of, especially because for the most part we didn't have a choice not to go see the "local" ceramic/carpet/oil/leather shop.

Another point for improvement would have been to pick the guides carefully - I think because our trip had two groups leaving at the same time due to popularity, the second guide was brought on last minute. His expertise lies in mountains/nature so at times he looked quite bored during the city parts.

I would disagree on the transportation comment above - it's not that easy to understand/organize if you don't speak Arabic or French. I had a few days on my own in rabat and took the train myself. Had it not been for kind strangers I would have never known where to get off for the connection.

Hope this helps - would be happy to answer any other questions!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: G Adventures or Intrepid Adventures

Learn to travel -which tour did you pick: classic, yolo or active? We're planning to go with my parents who are in the 70s but quite active.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
208 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: G Adventures or Intrepid Adventures

I can't remember to be honest - I think it was classic. There was not a whole lot of walking involved and the accommodations were mostly 3 star hotels (quite nice). I think yolo trips are much more basic.

Reply to: G Adventures or Intrepid Adventures
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted