We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First visit: need advice on souk shopping

Hartsdale, New York
Level Contributor
27 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
First visit: need advice on souk shopping

My husband and I are leaving Thursday night for a 12 day guided trip through Morocco (and of course I waited til the last minute to ask for advice). The cities in which we'll be spending the most time (from 2-3 days) will be Fez, Marrakesh and Casablanca.

I've just spent the last 2 hours going through tons of postings in the Morocco Forums and have printed out a lot of info. Just wondering if anyone could suggest a particular souk in a particular city where we could find the hanging lanterns, rugs, spices and/or anything else where Trip Advisors have enjoyed buying and haggling.

Looking forward, as usual, for the same wonderful advice I've collected on all our previous trips.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,488 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First visit: need advice on souk shopping

Most souqs tend to have a pretty consistent mix of products. Regional differences are not as great as they once were.

You'll probably find spice mixes like Ras el Hanout in Kalustyan's in New York at better prices than in Morocco.

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First visit: need advice on souk shopping

In Marrakech you will everything you need (probably) in the medina especially to the east of Rue Mouassine on route to Djemma al Fna. For quality spices at reasonable prices try the Mellah to the south of the square.

Edited: 12:19 pm, October 07, 2012
idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,379 posts
433 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First visit: need advice on souk shopping

loves coffee,

oh, you are going to have such a great time. who did you decide to use for the trip? are you driving yourself and using a guide?

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,488 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First visit: need advice on souk shopping

Ha! Didn't spot the 'loves coffee' handle.

You must try 'nus nus' which literally means 'half half'. Stronger than a milky coffee but not too strong. Normally served with a glass of water to prevent dehydration in the heat.

Hartsdale, New York
Level Contributor
27 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First visit: need advice on souk shopping

Thanks, Tim but I'm a "no milk, no sugar" kind of coffee lover, thanks to my father !!

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First visit: need advice on souk shopping

Perhaps Tim's suggestion of cafe nus nus may tempt you to experiment! Bottom half strong black and top half cafe au lait. Try it...you may (just) be tempted!

7. Re: First visit: need advice on souk shopping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 pm, December 14, 2013