We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clothing for Men

Bangor, Maine
Level Contributor
62 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Clothing for Men

I understand that the customs in Morocco are different than the West and as such I'd like not to offend anyone. I'm sure the standards are more stringent for Women, but what should I expect to wear on a regular basis in my trip throughout Morocco? I'll be going to all major cities during a time when it will be somewhat hot. I'd prefer to wear shorts and t-shirts, but if it's completely unacceptable (or even frowned upon) I'd prefer not to offend anyone. Should I only pack pants and long sleeves? What about open toed shoes? How about when swimming/sun-bathing?

Side question: Are there any specific things that could get me in trouble inadvertently such as displaying the bottom of my shoe?

Thanks in advance.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
11,809 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clothing for Men

If you were going to really remote communities then I'd advise avoiding shorts and t-shirts as they are regarded as underwear but in touristy areas and major towns they are fine.

East Gwillimbury...
Level Contributor
2,232 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clothing for Men

"...displaying the bottom of my shoe"...?

Is that offensive somewhere?

Bangor, Maine
Level Contributor
62 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clothing for Men

telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/ir…

I thought so in Arab countries? Anywho, thanks for the replies.

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
392 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Clothing for Men

" "...displaying the bottom of my shoe"...?

Is that offensive somewhere?"

O yes: in India, Bali, and some other Asian countries it is very disrespectful to point the sole of your foot towards someone. They are considered unclean/unsacred as they are in contact with the earth.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
10,038 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Clothing for Men

Hi,

It also explains this; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0125Qrn24EQ but don't worry, feet are not offensive in Morocco.

In Morocco in the heat in towns you will see many Moroccan men in long shorts and vest tops/t-shirts and everyone wears sandals or flip-flops in the summer. Don't worry about offending if you are wearing normal summer clothes in towns.

Don't do what I saw a rather overweight older French man doing last week. He got out of a car beside Bab Doukkala mosque having obviously spent the afternoon at a beach club and proceeded to saunter off wearing nothing but a pair of speedos, sandals and with a towel round his neck! Cue a lot of behind the hand laughter from the locals. No-one actually said anything to him but myself and all the Moroccans present were a bit shocked.

Common sense will guide you. Beach wear at the beach or pool only.

Edited: 1:51 pm, September 13, 2012
Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Clothing for Men

Showing the sole of your foot or indeed footware is highly offensive in some Arab countries, the equivalent of the "middle finger". Or worse. A girlfriend of mine did this on a beach trip on the Red Sea in Saudi Arabia (raising her sandal to hit a Saudi guy as a jest) and was nearly lynched despite my intervention. Thankfully my apologies were accepted but it was an awkward fifteen minutes.

In Morocco I have never encountered this and Escapist0215 you will have no problems wth "cut-off" pants and short sleeved T's in the cities. It's what I wear in the summer.

East Gwillimbury...
Level Contributor
2,232 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Clothing for Men

...well, wood-ja look at that...I learned something new today! :)

8. Re: Clothing for Men

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, September 15, 2013