We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cell Phone in Morocco

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Cell Phone in Morocco

Hi, I am travelling with Encounters Travel to Morocco on 13 October - 21 October. Any tips on renting a cell phone for use while I am there?

East Gwillimbury...
Level Contributor
2,232 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cell Phone in Morocco

Hi x,

What kind of "tips" are you looking for?

Marrakech
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cell Phone in Morocco

I don't know anywhere that rents cell phones but it is easy to buy a cheap sim card and cell phone.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cell Phone in Morocco

@spmm - seeing if anyone knows any legit companies to use that are most affordable.

@heresmyreply - yea, was thinking about just getting a sim card for my phone, but my iphone is currently locked.

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
239 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cell Phone in Morocco

I purchased an inexpensive cell phone in Morocco, it was about 200 dirham, and then bought credit. It was near the Djmaa el Fna in Marrakech where I purchased the phone, but then I saw the exact same phone in Fes in a fixed price shop for 149 dirham. Still, I have it and the darn thing holds the charge between trips to Morocco, I'm usually there every 6 months and I can't charge it in the USA. When I get to Morocco I just buy more credit.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
6 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cell Phone in Morocco

Zafiradaima, does your Morocco phone have much better rates than using your US phone with an international roaming plan? We found that in France and Greece that cellphones we bought and charged there were not much cheaper than my AT&T rates so am wondering if it's different in Morocco. Thanks.

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
239 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cell Phone in Morocco

Teresa1009,

Honestly NO idea. I buy a card that has a code they put in the phone and it gives me so many dirham. With Meditel I often find deals where if I buy a 100 dirham card, it gives me 200 dirham in credit. It is just a cell phone for texting and making calls, not internet. Usually if I have 200 dirham in credit on the phone it lasts for a 2 week trip. Texts are super cheap in Morocco, phone calls to phones outside of the city you're in are more expensive. I have called many times to friends in Marrakech, called Casa a couple of times, and called friends in Fes, but I don't know what the charges are since it's a prepaid card.

First year I had the phone I even called my parents n the USA from Erg Chigaga down in the desert toward the Algerian border.

I use it mostly in Morocco though and just have it with me if someone in the USA needs to get ahold of me in an emergency.

It's a Samsung brand and I have been really impressed with how long it holds a charge compared to my LG phone I have here at home.

Casablanca, Morocco
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cell Phone in Morocco

hey everyone

they're some deal for international call with cheap price in morocco

sometimes 30min for 30dhs or something like that's i'll try to check that's for you

Casablanca, Morocco
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cell Phone in Morocco

they're pass international from inwi

15min for 19dhs

but i think it just for europa

and from meditel

79dhs -> 1h of international call

just check with them

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
239 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cell Phone in Morocco

Thanks Arsalane for the info! I just use the phone until credit runs out and buy more, but this is helpful in knowing how much it would be to phone the states.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
60 posts
352 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cell Phone in Morocco

To be honest I find that it is cheaper to take my excisting mobile - contact my service provider in advance (vodaphone) and limit my use while I am there. Contact is then best made through internet cafe's or similar, just keep your mobi for emergencies.

Are you going into the mountains or on a trek - if so covergae will be very poor anyway so not worth buying one. If you plan to be based in Marakech, other simiar cities or along the Med coast (or a combination of these), then I'd definately go for the online/internet route, and take your own USB webcam so you can skype.

Mobis and sims are easily and cheaply available however and Meditel offer a good deal - check out their website before you go. Hope this is useful - If you have any more Qs about Maroc - let me know - I have travelled there for the last 8 years.