We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camel/desert overnights further north?

Berkeley, CA
Level Contributor
56 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Camel/desert overnights further north?

I'm going to be spending time in Chefchaouen and the Meknes/Fes area, but would also like to do a desert trip. Do you have to go all the way to the Merzouga area to do that, or is there anything closer to the Fes area?

(Excuse my geographic ignorance)

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
611 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camel/desert overnights further north?

Am afraid, but yes you will need to go all the way to Merzouga, still it worth it.

cheers

2. Re: Camel/desert overnights further north?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:54 am, December 15, 2009
Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
7,323 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camel/desert overnights further north?

Hi,

yes if you will see desert you need to go to Erg Chebbi. But it is nice way from Fes, interesting. So do not hesitate and go that way, you will see much during the trip. You can take a stop in Azrou, then you come to Ziz Valley it is nice there.

You manage this way in one day of course. Then when you come to the desert, if you will be more isolate from the tourists not stay over near Merzouga there they are many hotels now. Stay some kilometer or before or after.

melbourne
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Camel/desert overnights further north?

the best place to have a overnight its ergchebbi or hassilabied village near merzouga .and i would like to recommend for you www.cameltours.tk

they can help you with more informations about that and you can also book with them the overnight with the camel trek.

best luck

Berkeley, CA
Level Contributor
56 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Camel/desert overnights further north?

Is the scenery between Fez and Merzouga nice?

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
7,323 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Camel/desert overnights further north?

Hi,

it varies as you move over atlas to the desert so from the spruce trees to rocks. Then you come to Ziz Gorges and the dam of Hassan Addakhil which make good impression. After Errachidia come the river go down in I call it for a little Grand Canyon. There are so many palms so it is as palms river.

As you come closer Erg Chebbi the landscape change to the desert with only sand, few trees and palms here and there. And then you will see the sand dunes, high and ... you will be overwhelmed.

I am not so good to describe scenery but I tried.

Berkeley, CA
Level Contributor
56 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Camel/desert overnights further north?

How long are you actually riding a camel when you leave from Merzouga?

I have back problems and am not sure it would be okay.

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
611 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Camel/desert overnights further north?

Roughly 2 hours each ways…

Still there is the possibility of continuing walking to the camp when you feel riding the camel is not comfortable.

cheers

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
611 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Camel/desert overnights further north?

Both ways, should say!

Erg Chebbi, Morocco
Level Contributor
398 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Camel/desert overnights further north?

If you have a backache and you concerned about riding a camel, which is not 100%; I would just advise on booking with someone who have inssurance for this activty, many fixer would be happy to arrange it but some of them have no inssurance and you pay for the damage from your own bocket.

duration of the camel ride depends on the distance to the camp; some of the treks take 1h and 30minut each way!